New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Book Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know Blue Book cant list every gun made,but they seem to go to great lengths to get any variation of a Win mod 70. I ran across one that they did not mention. Its a Model 70 Westerner made early 1980's. (there is an earlier version Westerner but not the one I mentioned). So I contacted the folks at Blue Book and was assured they were including this rifle in their next book. I bought their next book which was the 22nd edition---It did not have the listing as had been promised to me. As a result I have not bought nor seen a Blue Book past 22nd Edition. Was wondering if someone has a latter version could let me know if the info is now included on this gun--Please let me know the Edition you checked. Thanks. about 1980.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, carpetman, since no one has seen fit to respond to your query, I decided to do a little checking. I'm bored tonite anyhow!

First I checked the 27th edition of the Blue
Book. If the circa 1980's Westerner is in there, I didn't see it.

Then I decided to look through my collection of old Winchester catalogs. Lo and behold, it is listed in the 1982 and 1983 catalogs.

The 1982 catalog says this:
"NEW Model 70 Westerner Bolt Action Centerfire Rifles with 4X Scope Option"
"The new Model 70 Westerner offers hunters a practical, price-conscious bolt action rifle perfect for open-country or mountain game. A great utility rifle, the Westerner is available with a 22" barrel in 243 or 270 Winchester and 30-06 Springfield. It also comes with a 24" barrel in 7mm Rem. Magnum and 300 Winchester Magnum.
The 70 Westerner has the built-in strength and durability to withstand hard use for many hunting seasons of accurate, reliable use. It offers all of the standard Model 70 features: three-position safety, ramped blade front sight, adjustable rear sight, anti-bind bolt, epoxy-bedded recoil lug, and receiver drilled and tapped for scope. The American walnut stock has a protective satin finish and contoured rubber butt pad.
This rifle carries the option of a high quality 4X steel scope at additional charge. The Model 70 Westerner and 4X scope represent an excellent value for hunters who seek economy and utility."

The 1983 catalog says something similar to that, but with the addition of the .223 and .308 calibers. It is not listed in the 1984 catalog.

While the factory catalogs don't show a MSRP value, this rifle is an economy model, playing second fiddle to the Model 70 XTR Sporter at that time. While the factory description doesn't specify, the photos clearly indicate this rifle didn't have a floorplate, and had cheaper sights installed, cheaper stock, no pistol grip cap, etc. This model is no doubt very much like the 70A, which is listed in the Blue Book, or the 670, which I didn't see in the Blue Book either.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mudstud--Thank you for the response. Mine is the .223 so I guess from your info it is 1983. The stock is hardwood--but not walnut and there is no floorplate. Obviously it is a cheapened model but heck sometimes a scarce model,even if cheapened is worth more because of scarcity, example the model 41 Winchester single shot shotgun. BTW I do have a Mod 41 and it is the only gun I have seen go down in the listed value in the Blue Book. The 13th edition had it up to $1200 and a few editions later to around $500---don't know what they say now days as I stated have not seen an edition past #22.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote