New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako Finnbear L61R
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I came into a Sako Finnbear L61R in .270 said to be 35 or more years old.
I like the fit and workmanship that was put into the gun. At first I thought it had a 98 style bolt, but that is not the case.
The crown of the barrel is flat not what I thought it would be.

Posts: 2662 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My opinion is that they were one of the best production guns of their day.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still have two, one in .338 and another in .375 H&H. I like them because the fit me so well, they’re light, and they shoot exceptionally well.

SAKO’s in general are still well regarded, but I think the L61s were the best of the lot. I recall seeing old pictures of them hammer forging the barrels, lathing them round again, and a guy standing at a press, straightening them by eye prior to installing them. The pride those old boys took in their craftsmanship back then doesn’t seem as common nowadays.

Posts: 5705 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I have the same gun also in .270 Win. The first rifle I ever bought. Purchased back in 1969. The barrel is labeled "Bofors steel". Still shoots great.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2286 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I'm new to the Sako game myself, having just purchased my first one. My experiences are in line with those here. The AV is about 30 years old, exquisitely made, very accurate, and attractive. I'm quite certain it won't be my last!

I also agree on the muzzle crown. It's essentially totally flat and is a little bit odd at first. More of an observation than anything else. I mean, it's not as if having a target crown means you can drag the rifle muzzle first through the woods. Big Grin

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
The flat muzzle is just how they made them back in the day. It's a shame that Sako/Beretta moved on from the L61 action.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2286 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several L461, L579 and L61 Sako rifles. They're fine rifles and more than a couple are custom stocked.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Borfus steel"

Bofors steel, their most famous product are 40mm naval and tank cannon.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Borfus steel"

I fixed it. Should have pulled the gun out of the safe to check before posting.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one that's 7mmag.

Bought it new in the gun club at Wiesbaden Germany.
August 1972. Don't think it has 300 shots thru it.

Carried it a couple hundred miles hunting elk and never saw one to shoot with it. I have shot a couple mulie bucks and half dozen antelope with it. Everyone a one shot kill.

Beautiful stock.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote