New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Bolt in 284 Win ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Did Winchester ever make a bolt action in 284 Win other than the DBM? If so what model and are these collectable??

Posts: 258 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim, I do not think that Winchester ever brought out a bolt action rifle in .284 Winchester. The company did produce the caliber in the Model 100 semi-auto and the Model 88 lever action. I once owned one in the Model 88 prior to the basketweave checking era and foolisly sold it. I later owned a Ruger Model 77 in .284 Winchester, and like an idiot the second time, sold that to a cop in Denton, Texas. I now own CZs but while it is still a 7mm, it is not the .284 Winchester. I own the CZ 550 American in 7x57mm. To this day I feel the .284 Winchester was one of the most underrated cartridges ever developed. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other than a very few Winchester 70 DBMs, no other Winchester/USRA bolt action rifles were cataloged in 284. Winchester/USRA may have made some special run 70s in 284, but I have never seen or heard of them.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.284 bolts (to my knowledge): Ruger 77, Browning Safari, and a few specialty or semi-custom rifles. No Win 70's that I know of.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
there was a m70dm in 284 listed on gunsamerica several months ago, i think they wanted $750.00 for it

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
If you look back in the catologs Winchester offered a couple specialty versions of the M70 from the custom shop in .284 in addition to the DBM model.
One was the M70 Custom Continental Hunter, the other ws the M70 Custom Featherweight and a M70 Custom Maple was also catologed.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was doing some cleaning in the office at home last week or so, and was looking at some older Winchester Catalogs, circa 1992-1995 or so...

In there, they had the Model 70 listed in 284 during that period of time...

I also was looking at some Browning catalogs where the A Bolt was offered in some good stuff like 257 Roberts....

And some of the Remington Catalogs, were offering the Model 700 Mountain Rifle in like 257 Roberts, 7 x 57 and a couple of other desirable calibers ( at least in my book)...

I remember contemplating the 284 back at that time, but passed because of the ammo's poor availability......think I just bought a 30/06 instead....it was about that time that I got my Model 70 Stainless with a regular walnut stock that was suppose to be a special limited edition... but they sold well enough that they offered them as regular catalog items shortly afterwards....That rifle has never been fired in the 10 plus years I have owned it...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, I had those guns on backorder for over a year. I had given up hope when one of the reps called saying he had few. I ended up selling four of them. All four were Classic DBM's.

To the best of my knowledge, only about 250 of those guns were ever shipped.

Gabe

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote