New
Find
Notify
Tools

Identify this S&W
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up a S&W revolver 357 mag, no model # under the grips on the butt is stamped S 130###. can anyone give me some info, barrel measures 8 5/16. I'm guessing its considered just 8 1/4. came from a collector that was known for expensive guns, wondering what the real history is or who's it was. barrel has exterior wear on each side at the muzzle end, the blueing is polished off like it has holster wear, or duty wear. assembly numbers match and the wheel is smooth and tight. shoots sweet and accurate. total joy to shoot

Posts: 59 | Location: Southern Maryland | Registered: 26 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your revolver was made in 1954 or 1955, most likely 1955. It is sometimes known to collectors as a "pre-model 27" since this model was assigned the number 27 when S&W began using model numbers in 1955. The "S" serial prefix began in 1950 at s/n S75000.

It is made on the large N frame. These were and are very high quality revolvers, well made of the best materials then available, and with S&W's best bright blue finish.

The lower-priced Highway Patrolman ("pre-model 28") was also made on the N frame in .357 Magnum during the same time period and numbered in the same sequence, but with a satin blue finish. The Highway Patrolman was made with either 4" or 6" barrel. Since your revolver has the longer barrel it is most likely a pre-model 27.

The barrel length should be 8 3/8" measured from cylinder face to muzzle. The reason for this rather unusual barrel length was to give a 10" sight radius, the maximum allowed under NRA bullseye competition rules.

Of course I have no idea who owned it, though if you were to get in touch with S&W they could most likely provide the date on which it left the factory and the dealer to whom it was shipped.

It's a revolver much admired both by S&W collectors and by revolver shooting enthusiasts. The 33rd edition of Fjestad's Blue Book suggests this model with 90% remaining original finish is valued at $1,345 plus an additional 10% for the 8 3/8" barrel.

I'm sure, as you say, it is a total joy to shoot. A most excellent revolver, I'm glad it is in the hands of someone who appreciates it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love it even more so knowing I only paid $225 for it, the blueing is in fine shape and is worn only on the barrel and there's a green tint looking patina (sp?) under the blueing. I'll post a pic if I can, and thanks for the info and your time

Posts: 59 | Location: Southern Maryland | Registered: 26 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
225 are you sure its not stolen that was a steal.

Posts: 19310 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the guy just didn't know what it was, I looked at several pictures in books and it looks like some of them so he may have mistaken it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think the value would go down if I had it refurbished mainly reblued to look nice

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the value would drop significantly if you had it re-blued. PLEASE leave it as it is...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
with most of the bluing gone It appears more of a shooter then collector

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice revolver as a shooter but your ability to describe condition leaves a bit to be desired. Roll Eyes

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At that price I yelled "sold" before even shooting it. at $225 I was prepared to hang it on the wall, My ability to decribe is swayed by the fact that I love guns so much they all look beautifully perfect. So the condition its in now would this gun be a good candidate for a refurbishment? (reblueing)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, with rare exceptions (engraved guns requiring re-blue primarily), I detest re-blued guns. I wouldn't do it, but it's your gun and your money. IF I was going to get it done, I'd be very careful about who I chose to do the work. Well done, it MIGHT enhance the value a bit, poorly done it would hurt it for sure. Doing a good job of polishing on a revolver is not easy, many of the stamps are not deep.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you paid 225 for you well not lose value unless you destroyed it.

Re blue it and I'll give you 250 for it.

A 25 dollar gain Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats my thinking, I almost can't devalue it below my purchase, but I dont want to destroy any future options...what the heck it shoots great and is fun to carry around the farm I may just leave it alone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about sending it back to S&W to have it re-finished?

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockrat:
What about sending it back to S&W to have it re-finished?

never thought about it, Do they do that? wonder what that would cost?

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Smith and Wesson will refinish the gun for you, probably at a very attractive price. I suggest you talk to our own Too Many Tools, John Farmer. He did a Winchester 12 shotgun for me and did a wonderful job. He is also very honest and will tell you after looking at the gun if it should be done at all or just cleaned up.
I was going to have the wood redone on the model 12 by him and he said... leave it as it will keep the value higher if you ever want to resell, it in very good condition for its age.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks like an early 27 with a gold bead front sight. I would not touch it, just use as is. If you really have to have it redone I would sent it back thru the S&W custom shop and let them reblue it. I have heard they have a very long lead time.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pre-model 27.
The grips are worth $400 to $600 alone if they are what are called 'Coke Bottle Style' grips. The name comes from the coke bottle profile when looking at the grips from the rear. The slight palm swell is very noticable in that era of mfg'r of Target Grip and that is where the shape and the nick-name came from.

The grips should be serial numbered on the inside of the Right panel (only) if they are the original factory grips for the gun. That would be another plus in value.

The rear of the cylinder, the bbl in the ejector rod cut-out, and the crane should all be serial numbered to the frame. The frame ser# is on the bottom of the grip/butt.
The crane (called the yoke by S&W) ser# is visable by lining up any chamber with the back edge of the yoke arm and shining a light down the chamber.
Check the bbl number carefully. It should be very plainly stamped in that ejector rod cut-out. The heavy loss of bbl blue would make some suspect a replacement bbl.
Also , with the grips off,,check the side of the prip frame itself,,the metal, for very small date stamp in the form of a month-year. For example 5-71 (May-1971),,That would be a work-date code indicating the gun was returned for repair. The exact repair cannot usually be determined in the factory records. But any ovbious change like a bbl replacement is usually a pretty safe bet. It could have been something as simple as adj of a screw or spring the customers satisfaction.

The 8 3/8" was a standard offereing. The square red front bead was IIRC a special order front sight.

The revolver was actually cataloged as the 'Model .357'. All the pistols had model names (Military & Police,,K22 Outdoorsman, 357 Highway Patrolman,,,,ect.
After 1956/57, the model names were dropped and model numbers were assigned in their place.
The M&P became the Model 10 , K22 became the Mod 17, the Model 357 became the Model 27 .
The Highway Patrolman became the Model 28.

If the pre-27 is all original configuration,,the target grips are original, the front sight bead prooves to be factory original and the Coke style grips are the one shipped when it left S&W,,,I'd hold off on any re-blue/restoration till you see what value & comments the Smith collectors put on it.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php
Logg in over here,,great bunch w/a vast knowledge of collecting, restoration,,buying, selling, gunsmithing, ect.
Factory letters are available for most S&W firearms from the Companys Historian who is also a member on that forum,
Factory re-finishinh is sometimes an option. Much discussion about that very decision. For a time, the Factory was not accepting work on pre-model number desgnated pieces,,,no work on an M&P cal38,,,but thy'd accept Model 10 cal38 for work.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
The front sight is what was once called a 'Call Bead' and was a special order item. I know as that is what my 3 1/2" bbl Nickeled has on it. Mine has factory numbered Magna style grips. I sent it back to S&W several years ago for a total refinish which they did and also replaced the trigger return spring. They actually had the person who was going to work on the gun call me and discuss anything special I might want. The refinish was flawless in every manner, so much so I haven't had the heart to blacken the front of the cylinder again since I got it back. It came back with a nice invoice from Smith of the work performed. Cannot recommend them highly enough. It has special meaning to me as it was my high school graduation gift special ordered for me by my Father.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All numbers match, a few stray things like the "S" "3" and "2" on the frame also a "G" and a "7" around the assy number, the yoke matches I just could not get a picture

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Not actually a 'call bead' as it is red and it is square. The original call bead is gold and is round. Have never seen one exactly like this one.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of other points. Those are not "coke" grips, but they are non relieved (no football cutout at top of Lt grip) diamond target grips. They are worth more than you paid for the entire gun. The last set I sold, I sold for $350, but they were in better shape. FWIW "coke" grips were only used, unless special order, on the S&W 44 and 41 magnum handguns, and they were rarely numbered to the gun.

Posts: 1635 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it were mine, and I decided to refinish it, I would send it to Doug Turnbull, then with a Turnbull refinish the gun would be worth some big bucks..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is S&W won't refinish any non model marked guns.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thus thread is almost two years old why was it brought back to life

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
why not? Everyone loves a nice pre 27!

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote