THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN COLLECTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gun Collecting    Permanently exporting a 1871/84 Mauser , black powder rifle procedures

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Permanently exporting a 1871/84 Mauser , black powder rifle procedures
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Good day to all members. I need some information regarding the permanent exportation of a 1871/84 Mauser ( the last black powder rifle made by Paul Mauser) A friend of mine in Idaho, Rigby gave me a 1871/84 Mauser as a gift. I an in need of permanently exporting( only once) this rifle to South Africa from the USA. Paper work on my side is covered...the info I am in need of is from the USA side. Since this is an old /antique black powder rifle will the exportation procedures be the same as with a new rifle bought in the USA??

I really would like to hear from you members in this regard.

Gert Odendaal

Posts: 113 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 22 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He can put it in a box & mail it, no export US paperwork required as anything made before Jan 1 1899 is not by law a firearm, but rather a antique.

I would suggest putting a letter in the box indicating it is not a firearm because of date of mfg. No export paperwork required.

The '68 Gun Control Act explains the definitions.

The question is will SAP's accept that it is by law not a "firearm" and no export paperwork required?

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Gerty,I agree with Ken. You are legal. The only hitch is the mailers that don't even know the laws.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken/Norman, I agree , but I think it prudent to go through the motions and fill out all the forms required , get the rifle here and learn an lot of new procedures regarding permanent exportation of a rifle from the USA. There are still .450 nr 2 Jeffery barrels I need to permanent export to South Africa..this will be an excellent learning curve...

Gert

Posts: 113 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 22 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trust me, permanent export is a lot harder than filling out some forms & if they see it is a antique may still refuse to issue a export license.

What I have learned is to pay someone, in my case my customs broker can also handle getting me a export license (at a cost $400-$500 per) & arranging shipping.

Here is the process
https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/l...s_Firearms012013.pdf

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Please keep us updated on this situation. Any info is good + can be used by others as well as we would like to see how this works for you.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I have friends that did the the other way around.... RSA to USA and carried in person rather than shipped.. but going to RSA is a horse of a different color for sure..

I'd be very interested in how this turns out..

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote