Find
Notify
Tools

When to restore, when to conserve?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Gang, I have come across a very early FN-made Browning Auto 5, with straight grip stock, no magazine cutoff and four-digit serial dating it to the second year of FN's first 10,000-gun order from John Browning. It is a 1904-A variant, with FN label on left of receiver and Browning Automatic Arms Co., Ogden, UT USA on the barrel, marked COCKERILL STEEL.
It appears to be in fine mechanical condition with a very good bore. But stock shows hard use, with cracks, some of the screws are a bit buggered, and much of the blue is missing with some small rust spots and light pitting here and there.
I would like to hunt with this 111-year-old shotgun. How much restoration would you do, and why or why not?
Here's the right side of the receiver:

And the left:

And the barrel steel marking and proofs:

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
No restoration, looks like shooter grade to me. I'd hunt with it.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Ditto

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
In this case, anything you do to it to "restore" it, will not be recovered in any future sales price; so, clean it and leave it alone. Wax the wood and oil the metal. And you can shoot it.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Looks like a beauty, Bill. I'd keep it in good shooting shape and don't worry about restoration. The A5 always was a pleasure to shoot!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As with vintage sports cars, they're only original once. That one appears to be a keeper just as it is.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
12 ga or 16 ga? I believe the 16's of that age had the short chamber (65mm). I don't have any experience with any 12's that old, just something to check.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very hard to almost impossible to get parts for this gun FYI...I wouldn't spend any money on it. Just shoot it. They have little resale value.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote