Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

info winchester model #51 bolt action rifle
 Login/Join

posted
Could anyone tell me when this rifle was produced, and in what calibers.
Thank you

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Model 51 rifle? Centerfire? I'd like to know more about that one as it's a new one on me. I'm familar with the Model 43, 54, and 55 (CF) rifles, but not a Model 51.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the book Winchester Bolt Action Military & Sporting Rifles 1877 To 1937
by Herbert G. Houze there is mentioned a Winchester Model 51 Imperial Sporting Rifle. I had never heard of this so Googled this up to satisfy my own curiosity. I have never knowingly seen one.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I did the google thing to and saw reference to that Imperial Rifle. Could not find a photo of it. It seems you have to buy one of the books that mentions it to see this elusive critter. Anybody out there have one of the books with photos and info on this?

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
To try to help my own question I think it might be a variation of a 1914 Enfield. I think it was also made in a takedown model but I don't know what calibers.
steve

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Like a Model 30 Remington, only a Winchester, and possibly a take-down?

But then, Winchester put a transistor radio in the buttstock of a Model 70 once, so who knows what else they might have done. Maybe they too had some left over 1917 actions at the end of WWI and made up some of these "Imperial" rifles as presentation pieces or something.

Would like to see a photo of one.