New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on Colt SAA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was looking at investing an original Colt Single Action Army first model in either .44-40 or .45LC with a medium or long barrel and was just curious of things to look for so I don't buy a reproduction or get ripped off. I've heard a Kopec letter is good place to start but just hoping to get any information I can.

Charles F. Bartlett

Posts: 80 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa | Registered: 02 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Investing in a Colt SAA is, IMO, a true art form. There are hundreds of things to look for. My suggestion is to join the Coltforum.com, and post this question there. I would only buy from a reputable dealer, and those guys on the forum can steer you towards one, or help you evaluate one you may have found..before you buy it. Unless you have an expert handy, and a full return/refund policy, I would avoid the online auctions, or selling sites. Just be careful. Good luck in your quest.

Posts: 1635 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Investing in one and buying one are two different things. Read and study first. You seem to want a pre war SAA; go to the RIA auction site and read all the descriptions and prices for the past 20 years.
Ready and study them first.
Yes a factory letter is a definite plus.

Posts: 17047 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CFBguns44:
I was looking at investing an original Colt Single Action Army first model in either .44-40 or .45LC with a medium or long barrel and was just curious of things to look for so I don't buy a reproduction or get ripped off. I've heard a Kopec letter is good place to start but just hoping to get any information I can.
Buying on Internet auction sites for an investment SAA is definitely NOT the way to go. Buying from private sellers with an inspection / return option is the only way to buy. Internet auctions do not have inspection / return options. Many, many, internet auction Colt SAA have interior replaced pars, non original markings, etc. and you have no recourse after you buy.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2100 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote