New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is The Best Way To Sell A Gun Collection
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was asked yesterday how a person could sell about forty handguns. I've not seen the inventory but am aware that most are in the original boxes and some have not been fired. You can't sell them on Ebay. I haven't had time to check yet, but I assume Cabela's might sell them on consignment. I think one of our local gun ranges will do that as well. Any thoughts?

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken, having done business with Cabala's in the past, IMO, they will FU. But then again , this is business + every one But like everything else in this world, how much are you prepared to lose, + can you compensate by asking your sale prices so that after the sales, that you will get your REAL percentage?

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consignment might be a whole other story, but once again, the same old story is there. What do you want to see as your finished sales price? AFTER all the others putting their fingers in the pie. Well, In this life, we all pay in one way or another.The kicker is to get your price somewhere in between the top + bottom + that takes skill, + experience.

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I spoke to Cabela's. They were very upfront. They said they would make a cash offer only, no consignment option, and offer wholesale price. Their example was, "If it is a $500 gun, the wholesale price is about $250. We might offer you $275".

There are better options out there. I like the sound of Rock Island Auction Company. https://www.rockislandauction.com/about-us

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
Ditto.

It depends on how you look at things. If someone is wanting to sale the items quick and fast and not worry about getting the best bang for their buck, then selling as a "lot" through a store front would be the best way to go. Just realize, when and if you chose to do that, you will get shafted. They will come in an offer you $0.50 on the dollar, then turn around and sell each item at close to market value so they can make money. That might be the best option if your friend is willing to get rid of all of his stuff and liquidate his items quick and fast. If your friend is wanting to get money market value, it will take longer but he would need to sell each item individually and be patient. I am sure you can find some guys on here who would be willing to help in liquidating the stash....?

Posts: 592 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
If your friend goes the auction route see if they can have a reserve. I have been burned by not having a reserve. Not every auction house will allow a reserve.

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Piece by piece while you are still alive.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Sabre and Lavaca have said it well, but without knowing what handguns and vintage (Glock v. SAA), it’s impossible to say.

I’m looking at the same deal with many “fine” rifles, and then some “custom” long range rifles my father has acquired.

I may start listing some here, but he wasn’t smart enough to buy 6.5 CM, damnit!

I suppose some will appear here soon.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
I spoke to Cabela's. They were very upfront. They said they would make a cash offer only, no consignment option, and offer wholesale price. Their example was, "If it is a $500 gun, the wholesale price is about $250. We might offer you $275".

There are better options out there. I like the sound of Rock Island Auction Company. https://www.rockislandauction.com/about-us

Hello Kensco

Last Fall I sold 550 pieces of my life-time collection through Rock Island Auction .. since then I have had many, many regrets .. Knowing what I know now, and if I could do it over again, I would use ANY OTHER AUCTION HOUSE - NOT ROCK ISLAND.

PM me for details

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2100 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
I'll have to agree with Buck on the disappointments of auction houses. Not just Rock Island, most all of them. Be aware that auction houses charge a 'premium' (fee) of 15-20% on top of the selling price to both the buyer and the seller. Then they can take months to finally pay you. And even if you can set a reserve, the downside of that is if the item doesn't sell, the auction house will charge you a fee for that too. It's a racket, and not for the inexperienced or the faint of heart.

Posts: 964 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
There are those who buy entire collections. I have a friend that travels all over the Midwest buying collections. He has cash and a quarter million line of credit.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Go ahead and post what the issues at RIA were. I know the owners and many of the people who work there. I have not let them sell anything.
But of course the rule at a retail store is for them to pay 50%. Just watch Pawn Stars.
For widows, I always tell them to call the auction house. Do not let "friends" buy them; they will screw you worse.
And sure, selling them one at a time, preferably before you die, is best. Not on AR though; we are all cheap bastards.
Or get a table at Tulsa gun show; 3000 tables.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
In today's litigious environment I don't like putting things in print on a forum, but if you or others want to pm me your phone number, I'll call you and tell you my experiences and warn you about what you will be in for.

Posts: 2100 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Over all I have found auctioneers to be predatory.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The ones I have seen, post their rules very clearly and explicitly.
If you don't what to pay their fees, nor take the risk, you should not use them. Upon whom do they prey?

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
The ones I have seen, post their rules very clearly and explicitly.
If you don't what to pay their fees, nor take the risk, you should not use them. Upon whom do they prey?

Fees and risk are not the issue, .. its the procedures and other things that are not posted.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have begun to sell most of my guns to save my dear one of68 years the horror of selling them. I intend to keep a few to hunt with, the beat up ones and few I just can't make myself part with and even that's a maybe..Donated my Texas Ranger guns to the Texas Ranger Museum on loan in trust to my sons and nephew. Not inclined to auctions but surely there are some honest auction houses/

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote