New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smith 629 revolver questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have come to aquire 2 model 629’s. One a modern 629-6 with lock and hogue grips. The other a 629-1 no lock original wood grips and stag grips and wood box. Looking to probably keep only one looking up models the -6 has the “endurance package” for more reliable heavy use with full power loads and the -1 the cylinder rod mod. Any knowledgeable S&W people recommend which would serve me better? Assume the earlier -1 a better revolver but info seems scarce.

Thanks for any info

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2837 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I would keep the earlier (pre lock) model but I am biased as I have NO use for their lock policy.Besides I really believe that your earlier model will increase in value more.Don't be fooled by the "endurance pkg.",I have shot several of my 29's using the old tried + true 250 G. Keith linotype cast over 22 G. of 2400.it will handle it.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That "endurance pkg." recalled to mind about a business in Houston in the 70's that was building alternators for cars.They had an assembly line that was cranking them out + one in 10 was pulled + painted red + boxed under the sobriquet "The Hot One" at twice the price.Even mechanics bought this line of bull.Bottom line is keep your old S+W.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Keep the -1, quality is better and there were few -1's made. But, they have little premium because they are not pinned and recessed.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True but they don't have "the lock" which NO collector wants.As to the P+R you are going to have to go back a few decades.I agree that these are really collectors.Wish I had the dinero.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you buying it to collect or to shoot.

Posts: 19308 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both and I tend to do both. Mostly shoot though.

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I repeat that I think in the future you will glad that you kept the pre lock model. IMO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that’s why I picked it up when I had the chance

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the 629-6 also has mim trigger and hammer. I am not saying mim is bad, just not steel.

Posts: 10588 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you are probably correct

White Mountains Arizona

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
True but they don't have "the lock" which NO collector wants.As to the P+R you are going to have to go back a few decades.I agree that these are really collectors.Wish I had the dinero.

The 629 no dash was pinned and recessed. The -1 came with the change and only lasted about a year. I had 1 of each and sold them as I have a bunch of the nickel plated 29's. I sold the -1 for $800. still in the shipper, never fired with presentation case. The 629 went for $1500 and had been fired approximately 100 rounds. sold it with all the goodies too. This was about 10 years ago, I am guessing prices have changed?

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prices have changed on everything.The 29's + 629's I have seen at the gun shows have never been under $1000.00 + usually a bit more.