New
Find
Notify
Tools

1957 Colt Woodsman
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Colt Woodsman made in 1957 bought in 1958 for $69.30. Been in the family and sat in the box over 60 years unfired. Sales slip is in the box along with factory target and papers.

Posts: 2662 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Nice. Several years ago I bought a 1927 Woodsman in the original box along with the paperwork from Colt that stated they had converted it to the new 22 long rifle cartridge. The guy I bought it from said it had been his fathers who bought it new. I paid $800.00 for it + thought that was a fair price. I lost it in the divorce 12 years ago.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I am in the market for another Woodsman to replace my loss. The good news? was that she + the shack job spent all the settlement money in 6 months. A shame to lose a piece with such history. I have been checking Cabelas fine gun room ut they don't have anything to offer + damned sure nothing in the realistic price range.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a cousin who when dying of cancer told me he was leaving his gun collection to me, which included a Colt Woodsman in mint condition. For several years after his death I heard nothing about the gun collection and finally my aunt (his mother) handed me a note which said "THE GUNS". I asked her what that meant and she explained that a couple of local guys who knew my cousin had spread his ashes for her and that it was so moving that she gave them my cousin's gun collection to them. She said that if I had been there I would have known it was the right thing to do. It was better than not knowing what happened and since she was in her 90's all I could say was that I understood, even if I did not.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I wouldn't understand that decision either. Sounds like they conned your Aunt, likely knowing the value of the gun collection.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that would be a bitter pill to swallow. On the other side of that coin, when I was going through the divorce + was still a few 100 dollars short I got a call from this old lady whose husband had died + asked me if I wanted some guns he had that she found in an ice chest. I told her I couldn't afford to buy them but he didn't want money, just them went, I'm on my way! On the way over I was saying don't get your hopes up, most likely pieces of junk. When I got there the 3 pistols were a Berreta 92, a Ruger SP101, + a Walther PPK. That gave me the money to finalize the settlement. Must be living right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Older Colt pistols and revolvers are some of the best investments you can make.

I have a 1929 Colt Woodsman my father bought off a friends grandfather back in the late 4o's or early 50's. It's in pretty good condition and I acquired a box for it. it's in my never shoot these gun safe. Right next to several of my Colt Pythons. Two pythons are from 1955 the first year they built them. I have serial #35 and #291. 291 has never been fired. 35 is in great shape but it has had a few rounds fired though it. Colt Gave it as a present to one of their big distributors in November of 1955. he let his son shoot it a few times, they figure 36 rounds went through it. I have the provenience in a letter from colt.
I'm sure someday one of my grand kids will thank me for these investments.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
https://www.americanrifleman.o...ecial-colt-woodsman/

A worthy read.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote