Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Famous guns
 Login/Join

posted
If one wanted to start a very nice collection and wanted to include famous guns of the west, where would he start looking? Would there ever be a possibility of acquiring guns actually used by famous outlaws or lawmen? Would really like to find historical pieces if possible.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Sure, they are out there (historical guns). Get your checkbook out 'cuz if they are properly documented they will cost big bucks. I know where a Custer Colt is for sale and who has Tom Horn's rifle. One is for sale and one isn't, but both are worth over 5 digits.

Similar authentic) versions (same model and caliber) could be bought for under 2K

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response. I have been searching online at a few different sites just haven't found anything of known historical value. Lots of replicas, but not the real thing. Am interested in the historical. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Gun List publishs extensive listings of upcoming auctions by the major auction houses. Frequently guns owned by famous characters are in these auctions. A fair number of historical firearms are also available at Beinfield's Antique Arms shows in Vegas.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with fla3006, major auction houses are the way to go. If you buy from them, you will probably have all the history documented. One thing to watch out for...if you buy a COLT and think it has historical value (above and beyond normal historical value, that is) and you want to get it documented from COLT, they do not have a price listed for the letter. In other words, the more historical value it has the more they charge for the documentation. So say for example, you could get a gun that could be documented as belonging to one of the Earps, COLT may charge you several hundred, to several thousand dollars for the letter. They are up front about this on their website, frankly I think it stinks.
Good luck in your quest and let us know if you happen to find something.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
You should contact Bonham's & Butterfield. In the old days of Butterfield & Butterfield they used to do some impressive auctions of Western firearms in San Francisco. Here's a link:

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/public.sh/pubweb/publicS...ent=USA&screen=index

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I live in Vegas so I'll definately check out the Beinfeild show when it comes. I appreciate the website also. Great to get these responses. I'll let you know if I find anything good.