New
Find
Notify
Tools

The First S&W .44 Magnums
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do we know about the first S&W .44 Magnums, where they are, who owns them, who were they made for?

Posts: 62 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Elmer got either the 1st or 2nd off the line. No idea where it is now.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that Carl Hellstrom received the first one. elmer, I think, got the 3rd one. Charlie Askins recieved one the first ones also. Can't remember who the second one went to. Elmer did get the first 2 4" Model 57's.

Posts: 1635 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the upcoming Premier auction at Rock Island Auction, there is a pre model 29 owned by Elmer up for bid. It is a special engraved model with full provenance and documentation. Estimate is $60-$90,000. www.rockislandauction.com

Posts: 1128 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Who would have ever considered that the guns of our contemoraries would go for so much/ But I'm glad that they are + that there remains an interest, helping the shooting sports survive.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My memory may be faulty, but I seem to recall that General Hatcher got one of the very early S&W 44 mags.

Posts: 711 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote