THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN COLLECTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gun Collecting    Need the value of something you wont find in your safe

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need the value of something you wont find in your safe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here is a gun that a fellow worker inherited from his late brother-in-law. his brother-in- law was an expert in Adirondack items and was writting a book about them before he passed away. I believe it is a new England Fowler. No markings that I can see.

fowler2 by tarawa1943, on Flickr

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason why you wont find one like this in your safe is that it is a bit long.

9 feet to be exact!

Fowler1 by tarawa1943, on Flickr

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no clue as to it's value, but I would hate to try and use it in the duck blind! This gun has most likely been converted from the original flintlock over to percussion. To get an accurate price estimate you will need to find an expert on New England fowlers. It would help to know what the bore size is. It looks awful small for such a long gun. Bob

Posts: 141 | Location: Iowa,U.S.A. | Registered: 13 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It take a long time to ram a load home. what about cleaning it.

A very interesting item.

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's for hunting a particular breed of duck, the one where you have to sneak up on them while they're floating and make actual barrel/rectal* contact with them before you shoot.

*That would be the duck's rectum, BTW, and ya gotta shoot fast...

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
Here my .02,
If the lock/sideplate is removed you may find a name. If it is a New England fowler here what I think
12 bore $1000 to $2000
10 bore $2500 to $3500
8 bore $3500 to $5000
4 bore $5000 up depending on condition. It appears quite nice. We have had several similar but none with that length barrel.
Thanks
Wesley

Posts: 672 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I think that was one by Elmer T. Fudd.
I have heard accounts of it being pointed into a hollow log and coming out of a rabbit hole.
jumping

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder why they only used half a joint of water pipe?

quote:
Originally posted by tarawa:
The reason why you wont find one like this in your safe is that it is a bit long.

9 feet to be exact!

Fowler1 by tarawa1943, on Flickr

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty amazing gun. I wonder if it could have been some kind of advertising piece? Given the relatively small bore size, it just doesn't make sense for some kind of punt gun.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the bore diameter on that gun?

I wonder if it was designed to take a healthy dose of black powder, and then several bore diameter lead balls.

The reason being to make it have a better pattern at a much longer range than a normal shotgun, with the bigger balls being able to kill a duck or goose at a much longer range.

All for market hunting of course.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tarawa:
Here is a gun that a fellow worker inherited from his late brother-in-law. his brother-in- law was an expert in Adirondack items and was writting a book about them before he passed away. I believe it is a new England Fowler. No markings that I can see.

fowler2 by tarawa1943, on Flickr

I've been thinking about this piece and I think it is waay cool. If the guy wants to sell it and has a price, I'd like a chance at buying it. My only quibble would be inspecting it to be sure the barrel length is original.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should contact the firearms museum in Wyoming for valuation. They should buy it and keep it for nostalgia purposes. I have never seen one like it. Kudos to the collector.
Does it come with a net that attaches to the muzzle so duck retrieval can be accomplished without a dog.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote