New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with overseas shipping
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need too send a scope to Melbourne Australia. What is the best way to go, USPS, UPS or FedEx..

The recipient needs to send me payment, so what are his options..

Cost: probably a 4 lb. package insured for $250.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Certainly no expert here, but I would check to make sure I didn't violate ITAR regulations if it was me.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
USPS International Priority flat rate will be 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of FEDEX.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
post office - they'll will ask what in the package

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
post office - they'll will ask what in the package

I shipped some scopes to oz a couple years ago. The USPS said it was OK. Had no troubles. Most of the folks that I send stuff to outside the USA want USPS. Seems agents take a fee if Fedex, UPS, or DHL does the shipping.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray
I have bought items from AR members which were shipped to New Zealand. Most cost effective option has been USPS. At about 3 weeks not the quickest but very reliable. So much so I dont usually bother with the extra insurance cost. All the courier options cost more and they're only worthwhile if delivery is urgent. In the days before all the extra security BS we have now I once had an item shipped via Fedex from Wyoming to NZ that arrived in 4 days !!!

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1994 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to check with Reloading International, they sell overseas all the time, and sending a scope out of country IS illegal. They have the setup, doing it all the time, to acquire the required certificates from the requisite agency. I have been "visited" by Homeland Security for innocently trying to send a prohibited item (brass cases) out of the country. They can and will confiscate your item, so better be safe than sorry. Get hole of Reloading Inter. and let them do it.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again, subject to ITAR (and get the MAKER'S advice on that not the Post Office counter clerk) I have had many things sent USPS.

Here in UK, and elsewhere, they are considered a premium brand and one that is trusted. Also our side it goes via our domestic mail service at the same level of handling.

If you're not in it is held at the LOCAL Post Office. Fed-Ex? UPS? If you're not it it ends up at a depot maybe forty miles away that is only open Monday to Friday. That's why USPS is always asked for.

Regarding Australia regulations I'd ask on the Australia areas of this forum.

AFAIR if a thing requires an Australia Import Licence then the buyer must obtain that and then send it to YOU for YOU to attach to the goods.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
My only experience with this was mailing a fitted Luger case + stripper clips to a chap down under. There was no problem using the USPS.( never got paid either,oh well I have not lost my faith in fellow man)I don't think a scope would be a problem. A gun however.....

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote