Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Determining A Fair Price
 Login/Join

posted
I've decided to get rid of half-a-dozen guns -- some new and some vintage but all in nice condition -- and need some advice re the following.

A local gun shop will give me 2/3 of each gun's value outright (their appraisal). Or, they will post the guns on their website and when they sell, take 20% of the asking price (this is not an auction site).

Trying to sell guns at a gunshow is a rather miserable undertaking (in my experience).

That said, what do you think of either of the alternatives list above? I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Posts: 1 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not post them here on AR and give the members first shot at them. If your guns are that nice and priced fair, they will move out quick. Good luck either way.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Earle:

Unless they are really esoteric or rare, you can get an excellent idea of the internet (which is often higher than local) values by comparing your guns against auctions (be sure they sell, as opposed to some ridiculous asking price or reserve which is not rare) on www.gunbroker.com or look at the asking prices on www.gunsamerica.com.
Finally, if you list them here and ask for an opinion on values, I'm sure you'll get a pretty honest opinion of what they are worth. However, both in comparing values and listing them here you have to be brutally honest about condition. A 90% gun is worth substantially less in most cases than a NIB, for instance.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PS: If you're prepared to go through the hassle of listing, getting paid, and shipping, you do not have to be a dealer to sell on most internet sales sites.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with jimmyd223....why not list them here. I have found this forum full of honest people who will tell you the truth on what you have and what they might be worth. Then if you decide to go to an internet auction site, you will have a better idea. Also some guns are worth much more in certain parts of the country.

Posts: 1635 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gun stores in my area charge a 15% commission for consignment.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try posting them here, I think you would get some interest here and besides everone thats viewed your posting has got to be a little curious as to what you have! I know I'll be watching. Goodluck. R.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo is correct.
First use the online auctions to determine value.
A list here and some photos would be appreciated Wink

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote