New
Find
Notify
Tools

8mm mod 70
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have the chance to buy a 8x57 mod 70 winchester. Its push feed , tupperware stock and apears to be original. I am a bit suspicious as to it being counterfit. Any in put ?

Hang on TITE !!

one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
No expert, but the only push feed 8x57 I know about is the Rem 700 Classic of a few years ago.

I doubt it is original.

Could possibly be something created for the European market???

Does it have US proof marks?

Covey16

Funny,After a rotten war like this,how hard it is to leave- Duncan Grinell-Milne

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It wouldn't surprise me if it was special make up for Europe or something. It could also be a special order, does it have a Custom Shop proof mark on it?

FYI I have seen 2 Pre-64's in 8m/m.

Posts: 144 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dident take it apart to look at proof marks. The roll markings look good and are correct. Doubt it is a custom shop model as its action is rough, and the plastic stock dosent seem to be that kind of work. I think some one has screwed a barrel on it and trying to pass it off.

Hang on TITE !!

one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Leemar
You are probably right.
Someone bought a 700 classic, discovered it was an 8x57 when they got home and immediately healed it with a custom 7x57 barrel. Smiler

Takeoff barrel found a home on the rifle you are looking at.

Covey16

Funny,After a rotten war like this,how hard it is to leave- Duncan Grinell-Milne

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What does the barrel say on it? If it is a Remington screw off then it would say Remington on it. If it has all the regular marks of a Winchester then I doubt that it is someone trying to pull one over on you. It would be to hard and expensive to re-create all the proper markings on a gun that has such limited collectors value.

one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reelman:
What does the barrel say on it? If it is a Remington screw off then it would say Remington on it. If it has all the regular marks of a Winchester then I doubt that it is someone trying to pull one over on you. It would be to hard and expensive to re-create all the proper markings on a gun that has such limited collectors value.

I shouldn't joke arround.
If it's got American proofs and Winchester roll marks, it's not mentioned in any of of my references for factory chamberings.

Sure would like to know exactly what is stamped on that barrel.

Covey16

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was Winchester markings all the way. Cant remember exactly how they read, and I'm not going for a 2nd look. Still think it's counterfit. Roll markings are easy to reproduce in this day and age.

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went back to the late 30's and couldn't find an 8x57 factory chambering for either the M70 or the M54. I'd be curious as to what the bore measures.

Bud W

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why would anyone bother to "counterfit" a barrel for an inexpensive rifle? Is the price being asked as if it were for a rare collector piece?

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree. I doubt it is counterfiet, it is probably a special make up for either Europe or a special run for a distributer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All these questions made me curious. Called the fellow back. It had been sold. He got $475. He did admit that he had sent the gun to Winchester, and it took them 8 months to rebarrel it. He never offered that information to me when I had it in my hands !! He did infact say he bought it chambered as such..Still have my doubts about any thing he said............

Hang on TITE !!