THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN COLLECTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gun Collecting    Remington Model 700 200yr anniversary. Worth collecting?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Model 700 200yr anniversary. Worth collecting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted

http://www.remington.com/rifle...700-200th-ann-ltd-ed

At 2400$, is this worth collecting?

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My general rule... If it's made to be collectable, it seldom will be. There will be many unfired safe queens out there in 10 years. It's the items that are intended to be used that end up being rare in my life time.

Posts: 167 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
My guess is not really. Unless you pick a chambering no one else wants today, then 50 years from now.... it is collectable because not many were made.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nate:
My general rule... If it's made to be collectable, it seldom will be. There will be many unfired safe queens out there in 10 years. It's the items that are intended to be used that end up being rare in my life time.

+1

Nice looking rifle anyhow

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nate: If it's made to be collectable, it seldom will be. There will be many unfired safe queens out there in 10 years.
I can't imagine M700s being particularly collectible under any circumstances.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
quote:
Nate: If it's made to be collectable, it seldom will be. There will be many unfired safe queens out there in 10 years.
I can't imagine M700s being particularly collectible under any circumstances.

^^^^^ This!

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I were them, the run would have been 200 of each caliber, and in a specially marked box.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No way.
Remember Beanie Babies....

Collectables are not made to be collectable - they turn out that way because there is some intrinsic value to the uniqueness of the quality or the item. Putting engraving or just calling it "special" does not make it collectable.

At the end of it, the only real collectable is cash.....

Posts: 10095 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It may not be the same rifle but I saw an ad in the paper today for a 700 adl edition for 550 after the 50.00 mail in rebate. Ad said Remington 700 adl "Special Edition" commemorative 200th edition.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 580 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The way I look at the commemoratives from Winchester, Remington, and Marlin is that they are just fancier versions of what they already sell. These things are mass produced and never achieve "collectible" status. Making 2016 units of each model is not much of a "limited" run. But if you like the model and the caliber its offered in and would like to have one with higher grade wood and some nice engraving then it is a bargain.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A factory made 200th 700 for $2400 would be an absolutely terrible investment IMO. I'd bet you can buy one for half that in a few years.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Looks as fugly as a Weatherby rifle barf

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
If you could get it at a good price, it would be a hell of start for a rebarrel custom.
Steel bottom metal, great wood, NEG irons. Maybe a 416 rem project...

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never, ever!!!!

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my wife one about a month ago. She liked the way it felt when she shouldered it. Waiting on a chance to go shoot it.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 580 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle shown is just a very nice Remington Model 700 BDL + rifle. Someone may consider it collectable so therefore it is, but most would not.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a Rem 700 fan. However, I would not buy one of these thinking the value will increase a significant amount. I might buy one at a decent price if it had great wood. And it would be a shooter or custom very soon.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote