Notify
Tools

1936 Model 70
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JAG
posted
Gentleman (and you to Ann),
I have without a doubt handled one of the MOST amazing rifles ever. This is not a bigbore, nor a fancy eurogun. Its not a custom job out of a well known smiths shop. It is a plain ol pre(way pre)64 mod 70. What makes this one stand out you ask? IT has a 3 digi serial (4XX) placing its mfg at 1936. It has a short barrel,(not carbine) and is in, I kid you not at least 90% condition. It has an origianl box of 30 GOV 06 shells with it. The checkering is near mint with a definitive hand done touch. It also has a silver grip cap, that as an insciption stating it was presented to such and such from union oil, 1937. Oh, the original sight hood is on it as well. I have been asked to find a home for this rifle by the owner, who is an old freind. I will have pics and more details tomorrow evening as well as some idead of what he is going to want for it. This rifle is the best looking pre 64 I have ever seen. I nearly lost my breath when he handed it to me and it took nearly an hour to be abe to breath right again. It has very minor handle marks and its...just... well A DAMM NICE RIFLE.

There is also a model 55 takedown in a 30 wcf with a 3 digi serial (7XX, mfg. 1924) in great shape as well and a belgium BAR in 338, unfired! ANyway I will get more details tomorrow and start spreading the word. I thought the folks here deserved first shot at these. I wish I could find a way to keep them for myself but with christmas around the corner and a family to buy for, dad comes in last place! LOL!

Regards,
JAG

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jag, would definatly be interested but afraid it's probably way outside my reach.

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
JAG,

I have a client who may be interested. He bought a pre-war Model 70 not too long ago serial # 1xx.
He just might be interested in the one you have also.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
JAG, check your email

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
FLA3006, I didnt get your email?? I have had some trouble with my isp lately, could have been delayed or something.

OK, here we go....
First I have to say that after I slept on it and went and picked it up pictures I was able to see past WHAT it is to what it is.. Make sense...

Condition is not at 90 like I had first thought, closer to 80-85. There is some wear on the floor plate that I hadnt really noticed. The stock is in great shape with very marks or dings. It has a few, but nothing bad. The bore is in great shape as is the finish on the barrel. The rec. has been drilled, it has two holes drilled in the forward ring of the rec, but not the rear. The action is smooth as silk and locks up tight. The metal butt plate is in great shape and the finish is in such good shape it almost looks plastic.

The silver disc in the bottom of the grip has an inscription presenting it to someone in 1937 from Union Oil Seattle washington.

Again, serial is 4xx placing it in 1936. There is an original box of shells with it, 30GOVT06, alone a great find.

A very rare find indeed. I am hoping to find her a good home. Still not 100% on price yet, and no I am not going to make any money on this, thats not my intent, Whatever he decides on I will stick to. The last one I sold for him was a old Parker SxS, I put it into the hands of a collector that damm near cried when he got his hands on it(he has its mate). My point is guns like this DESERVE a good home. IMHO.

He knows what its worth, but like me wants it in good hands. I will try to get a price by tomorrow night. I would bet that it will be around 3000-3250. I just dont know.

Well, I hope that is enough for now. If you have any questions please let me know.

Here is links to the pics, I didnt post them here as It would make the page load to slow. Just click the links below.

http://home.pacifier.com/~jgifford/mod70-1.jpg

http://home.pacifier.com/~jgifford/mod70-2.jpg

http://home.pacifier.com/~jgifford/mod70-3.jpg

http://home.pacifier.com/~jgifford/mod70-4.jpg

http://home.pacifier.com/~jgifford/mod70-5.jpg

http://home.pacifier.com/~jgifford/mod70-6.jpg

http://home.pacifier.com/~jgifford/mod70-7.jpg

Regards,
JAG
Jason Gifford
Hood River, OR

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle, but from the standpoint of collectability the fact that the receiver and the stock have been drilled hurts. I think $3000 is stretching. Thanks though!

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Fla3006,
I agree and am trying to get him to settle on the price. I will get it posted as soon as I hear. I talked to a fellow today and he told me that the stock is not really to much of an issue as it provides a neat tie as far as history is concerned.
It is a 66 year old rifle, and IMHO a great find. I am still shifting funds around and trying to talk the wife into buying it for me. Hope it works.

<JBelk>
posted
JAG--

The two holes at TDC on the front ring is factory. In 1936 about the only scopes around were long ones. The mounted on the front ring and a block that was dovetailed into the rear sight lug.

It would be worth the $$$ to factory letter that gun if possible. Presentation rifles are always interesting if Winchester (or Colt) did it. It looks like the typical factory option on the grip cap.

Even with the letter $3K is optimistic, though. (IMO)

one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Jbelk,
Thanks for the info. I wondered about the holes as to them being factory or not, but dare not suggest that as I didnt know for sure. A letter would be a great to gto with the letter but not sure that he'll want to. The price he is asking is $3000, a bit steep I agree. I am going to pass on it at that price, as I think that I could do better for that kind of money by having a rifle built.

If there is anyone still interested let me know.

Thanks for the info all, I learned a few new things today, its a good day.

JAG

one of us
posted Hide Post
A thousand bucks would be too much.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Huh..
quote:
A thousand bucks would be too much.
At $1000, is would be in my safe!

BTW, The price finally settled down to $2200.
ANyone want anymore info, or interested in buying it, I will get you in touch with the owner.

Regards,
JAG