Find
Notify
Tools

Have an M1 Garand...What next?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Looking for suggestions for another WWI-Vietnam era firearm to purchase that is not Class III to go with my M1 Garand...and why you chose what you suggested.

Firearms with history are interesting. And with the video game companies coming out with WWII, WWI and other military games I have nephews asking me about guns like the Enfield and the .30 carbine along with german mausers...etc.

Appreciate any responses I can get with this thread

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And SMLE or a No4 but make sure it has the correct butt length for you. Then you can shoot it properly.

Not like the useless "Brit" in the video with Lee Ermey who clearly has no idea of how to shoot it properly.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M 1 Carbine, the logical pair.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
Not like the useless "Brit" in the video with Lee Ermey who clearly has no idea of how to shoot it properly.

I think everyone has seen this video Big Grin
What is a good price for one of these? .303 or the darker wood .308?

Grizzly Adams-- That's what I was thinking. The Carbine and Garand are meant to be in the same safe together. I really despise the .30 carbine cartridge...I wish it would have been a .357 mag or something. .50c shot but easy for anyone to enjoy plinking with

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M1 Garand
M1 Carbine
Colt 1911 Govt

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You need a representative battle rifle from every WW2 Power;
M1
M1 Carbine
Enfield #4 and maybe a #1 which Australia made and used.
Kar98k
Mosin Nagant
Type 99 maybe
Carcano last.
French Lebel or Berthier once you get bored.
Post war you need an M14/M1A.
FN-FAL/G1
HK91/G3
M16/AR15
I have nice examples of all of the above for sale should anyone be interested, PM me.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have a stock military 1911A1. 1942 Colt frame,1943 Remington Rand slide,that I might be willing to sell.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went backwards. Garand, 1903a3, 1903, Krag, 1873 Trapdoor. Of course there are variants of each and I'm working on those.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Keep going; 66 Allin Conversion, 63 Rifle-Musket, 61 Rifle-Musket, 1855 Rifle, the last cap lock rifle issued to US Army. 1803 Harpers Ferry; first US made rifle issued to US troops. Maybe a 42 flint and percussion; 1816 Musket, 1795, and then you have the French Charleville ones we used during the Revolution.
Percussion revolvers, and of course an 1804 Harpers Ferry pistol.
Those are the basics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’d get a Moisin Nagant while prices are still cheap.

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yeah,I have a family heirloom,a custom built percussion rifle from approx. 1840 W/ powder horn + moulds,in 45 cal. DST,fiddle back stock,oct. bbl.,etc. Been passed down from one generation to the next. I have pics of the old guard handing it over to the young ever since cameras were invented.Several years ago an aunt asked my mother where the rifle was as her son was interested in having it. Mom just told her that I already had it.Boy,that really ruffled the old hens feathers.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
PM me if you want some real WW2 sniper Mosins. Not the reproductions they are selling now.