New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help identifiying older weatherby rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A freind of my wifes, husband had taken ill and she asked me to come see if I can take care of some of his old guns for her. One of his rifles that seemed particularly interesting to me was a Weatherby built on a mauser action. His dad worked for weatherby for a while in southgate California and he purchased this rifle used in 1956. It doesn't say what model it is just 300 weatherby and then weatherby south gate calif with serial number 96XX. It is 98+ blueing with only some minor scratches and spots of finish wear on the stock, and weatherby scope. I was wondering what exactly the model number and aproximate value is.

There is also a brand new in the box never fired Weatherby Mark XXII, 22lr auto loader with two clips, box and all paperwork, even has the reciept dated feb 22 1974. Serial number N49XXX.

Any info on either rifle would be great. Thanks for your help

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi: I too, have a Weatherby "Southgate" Rifle in
.300 Waetherby. They were some of the first rifles built by Weatherby. They used an FN modern Mauser (Belgium) action, a barrel made of Timken Steel Barrel (same company that makes Timken steel ball bearings). Mine has skip checkering, good American Walnut. Weatherby made these rifles like someone would a fine custom rifle, precise inletting, highest grade Mauser Action,good wood, etc. This was before they designed their own action...they are more or less the original Weatherby Rifle. Mine is serial 10400, made in 1958. For a fee ($50?), if you give Weatherby the serial number, they will issue a letter of authenticity, and all info on the rifle, where they shipped it to, vintage,etc. I did this. You need to contact Weatherby for this. They were excellent rifles, I like the Mauser Action model better than the new ones...Mine shoots great. The rifle really doesn't have a "model number" Weatherby describes it on my letter from them as "Weatherby FN Mauser Deluxe". Weatherby guys & collectors simply refer to it as a "Southgate" Weatherby, made in Southgate, CA, USA..
I'm not sure what kind of a Weatherby Scope it has..hopefully it has the one made in Germany...it should have some markings on it...and it should have both adjustment turrets in line on top of the scope, also whether it is a fixed power(like 4X) or variable 3-9X. If it has a post & crosshair reticle (European favorite) that is also highly desireable. The scope itself will sell for a good price, some guys collect them. I think the rifle should be worth about $1500 without the scope. But its whatever the market or someone will pay for it.
I had an old, beat up Weatherby Scope, made in Germany only 4X power, post & cross hair reticle, with the turrets in line...and sold it for over $350. The German made Weatherby scopes are high quality German Optics & yours is probably this type. If you are interested in selling, I would sell the rifle & scope separately...but also can offer it together...I'm not sure which is optimum for sales. www.gunbroker.com on the internet costs nothing to list, only if sold then a small percentage...best way to get a wide audience of buyers.
Best Regards,
Tom

Posts: 287 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote