New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stevens 22-410 in strange plastic stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Stevens 22-410 in a very strange plastic stock.
The gun looks ugly anyway you look at it.
It comes apart into three sections.
What/why would anyone have one of these?

Posts: 2662 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my uncles had one of these and I got to use it when in 7th & 8th grades. The .22 barrel was very accurate. It would shoot 1-inch groups at 50 yards from a rest. The .410 barrel was pretty useless at least with large shot we used which we thought would give it more range, however there were big holes in the patterns. With .410 slugs it shot the same place as the .22 barrel and was accurate enough for skunks and raccoons and killed them a lot better than a .22. The plastic stock looked strange but gave the gun a more forward balance which I think was better for offhand shooting. I inherited the gun from my uncle nearly 20 years ago and am still thinking what to do with it. It was in his damp basement and has surface rusting and the bores are also rusted, but the action still opens and closes smoothly and the trigger and barrele selector also work well. I was thinking of relinning the .22 barrel and relining the .410 barrel with a .38 special liner thinking that it would probably shoot to the nearly the same point of impact as the .22 barrel. I have some fancy walnut to replace the plastic stocks. This would probably be a poor investment but the gun has a lot of value to me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the stock is brown and black streaked then it is factory and was called a Tenite stock.
These were made during WW2 as gunstock wood was hard to come by.

JW

Posts: 1421 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Wisner:
If the stock is brown and black streaked then it is factory and was called a Tenite stock.
These were made during WW2 as gunstock wood was hard to come by.

JW

Beat me to that explanation sir! Any wood that was stable enough to make stocks for war rifles was snapped up by the Government.
My grand step grandfather had one of these little combos and I was about six years old and shot that little gun for everything from doves, to wild turkeys, and coyotes. Those plastic stocks were prone to warp. If I had one today I would not replace the stock but leave as is for collector value. The metal can be very carefully polished down and cold blued to look as just used, instead of poorly cared for!

………………………………….My job during the WWII was to supply meat for three families that moved onto my other grand father's property while the men were fighting the war. Took a lot of meat to feed three families, but I was happy to do the job!

………………………………………………... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote