Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester "Big Five" collection
 Login/Join

posted
Anybody have any information on this particular item. I understand there were 125 sets made. Was wondering if anybody had ever run across any. Anecdotes, as always, are greatly enjoyed.

One of Us
Picture of ManCannon
posted Hide Post
There's always a few sets on gunbroker.com for sale. I've never seen the set personally. Prepare to spend some $$$, but given the current state of affairs at Winchester, it might not be a bad way to spend those $$$ cheers

"The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country." - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Posts: 385 | Location: Midwestern Corn Desert | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Last time I was in Cabela's in michigan there was a set in the gun library. They were good looking guns, to be sold at as a set and had the traditional Cabela's markup on them (too much money!). I always wonder if they ever get the asking price, because I would say they are generally about 20% high on the quality used stuff.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the set I ran across was at Cabela's. Really beautiful set of rifles but I also thought the price a bit inflated. I'm waiting to hear from the previous owner to get a little more info on that set but am seriously thinking about making them an offer.
Good point about Winchester, might not be any more really quality stuff like this down the line.

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
Kory,

I have a set with serial number 17. The rifles sold for $17-2100.00 each depending on the caliber. I have right at ten grand in my set. You are correct about the 125 sets made. I think the value will be high as I know a lot of the sets were broken up. When you purchased the first rifle (.375 H&H Lion) you had first option at the remaining rifles with no obligation to purchase the remaining calibers. I have seen many being sold as singles on the net and in gun shops. I have no proof, but would be surprised if more than half of the sets were completed. I know of a complete set that sold last month for $21,500.00. When they auctioned the set with serial number 1 at S.C.I. in 2000 I remember laughing that it brought $33,000.00. I'm beginning to think that may not be out of line ten years from now. I think I'll just hold mine a while and see what happens.

BOWHUNR

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know of a set that was purchased individually from Cabelas and was sold as a set to either Scheels or Gander Mtn in Minnesota for 15K I believe. I know the owner got enough out of them wholesale to go on an Elephant hunt.

Posts: 53 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 12 August 2006Reply With Quote