THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN COLLECTING FORUM

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Many Gun Distributors going out of business?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
Spoke with a friend of mine that is a high-roller in the gun retail world ( He gets awards from Ruger and Leupold at SHOT Show). He told me that several big name gun distributors are getting out of the business. He mentioned several like Ellett Brothers, Badger, Williams, and others I recognized but can't remember now. Every year he'd go to several 'buy-in' distributor shows where he'd make deals for hundreds of thousands of dollars and those shows are getting very scarce.

When I asked him why, he said 'Trump'. To be clear, he's a Trump type 'Merican, but there's little panic buying like during the Obama years and when Hillary was looming. He's got 1/2 million rounds of .22 ammo left-over that he bought back when it was very scarce and paid $25-40 a brick for and was selling on-line and it's going to auction this weekend and he hopes to get $12 a brick. He gave me several examples of how the market is saturated with AR lower manufacturers and they are falling by the way side. Also how certain Glock models are coming down in price.

Interesting ebb and flow. Economy is good (great?) and unless some radical gets elected the new gun market goes very soft. Now if only the Savage 99 DL (250 Savage) market would go soft I'd jump in!

Posts: 3273 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
That busines would come back if bite me biden gets elected.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, or not. The FBI is saying this year will beat its previous high of 27.5 million background checks in one year. Someone is buying guns?
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
yes NICS background chesks are up---
however, they are now being used for other than gun purchases in many locales--
not just by dealers, but also: law enforcement, courts, municipalities--

IE:
ammunition sales
moving a registered gun from one address to another
concealed permit application and renewal
transfer of guns out of estates to heirs
divorce proceedings
adoption
custody
some jobs
etc, etc

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
It's a helluva note that we have to look for a liberal threat to keep the firearms industry solvent.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The market is saturated with black guns and compact and sub compact handguns. Hunting is decreasing, and the organized shooting sports are not getting new, young people in them. As (us) old farts die, there is no one to replace them. I see a fundamental ground swell here. I see a very limited market for fine, quality, aesthetically pleasing firearms.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
The market is saturated with black guns and compact and sub compact handguns. Hunting is decreasing, and the organized shooting sports are not getting new, young people in them. As (us) old farts die, there is no one to replace them. I see a fundamental ground swell here. I see a very limited market for fine, quality, aesthetically pleasing firearms.
Peter.
+1

Posts: 124 | Location: Hickory, PA | Registered: 13 May 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have passed it along to my sons + working on my grandkids. I still give guns to my boys for Christmas presents + do not think it odd. But one person can only do so much. Another aspect is that with the urbanization o the rural areas there is not as much opportunity for the young to find a place to shoot. I'm in the country + don't have that problem + have even had several AR members out here to shoot. But one can feel the city moving out in my direction.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Peter is right. AR prices have fallen nearly in half over the past few years. Does anyone besides your gun media whore get excited about yet another 9mm?
I just hope that when the Democrat wins in 2020, the "industry" doesn't plunge into another primer and .22 shortage.
And God save us from Bloomberg and his billions.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16305 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Democrats are good for the gun and ammo industries and suck for every other form of commerce.

The market is awash with black gun manufacturers as black guns have outsold every other class of long gun over the past decade. However, that season is coming to an end and deals abound to attract new customers.

Typical business cycle.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember going into McBride's gun store in Austin shortly after Obama was elected + noticed his framed picture on the wall, which kinda surprised me until I took a closer look + there was a brass placard on the bottom that said "Gun Salesman Of The Year."

one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of guns are bought on-line and then shipped to local dealers for the background check. Distributors are being by-passed. Big box stores are also buying direct from mfg's and are squeezing out local stores that depend on distributors.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Democrats are good for the gun and ammo industries and suck for every other form of commerce.

Historically, the stock and commodities markets have consistently done better under Democrats. While a person may have ample issues which cause them to favor Republicans politically, economics is, by historic definition, not one of them.

Of course, now that traditional Republican economic philosophy has done a 180 under Trump and deficits no longer matter, big government spending is a good thing, free trade is a bad thing, and big tariffs don't cost anyone anything, the history of economics favoring Democrats may well be a thing of the past.

By the way, the 2012 estimate of the number of firearms in civilian hands in the United States was 270 million. The current estimate is 320 million. Market saturation is a real thing. Everybody that has an AR-15 has two of them and one of them is for sale. It is hardly any wonder that the black gun market is weak.

Now it is true that they ain't makin' any more Savage 99's, pre-Garcia Sakos, or Winchester Model 21's, which normally means the price of such commodities will tend to go up. But the question is whether they are making any more 50+ year-old males with ample discretionary income who give a shit about owning a Winchester 21. Time (and trends) will tell.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:

Historically, the stock and commodities markets have consistently done better under Democrats. While a person may have ample issues which cause them to favor Republicans politically, economics is, by historic definition, not one of them.

Of course, now that traditional Republican economic philosophy has done a 180 under Trump and deficits no longer matter, big government spending is a good thing, free trade is a bad thing, and big tariffs don't cost anyone anything, the history of economics favoring Democrats may well be a thing of the past.

By the way, the 2012 estimate of the number of firearms in civilian hands in the United States was 270 million. The current estimate is 320 million. Market saturation is a real thing. Everybody that has an AR-15 has two of them and one of them is for sale. It is hardly any wonder that the black gun market is weak.

Now it is true that they ain't makin' any more Savage 99's, pre-Garcia Sakos, or Winchester Model 21's, which normally means the price of such commodities will tend to go up. But the question is whether they are making any more 50+ year-old males with ample discretionary income who give a shit about owning a Winchester 21. Time (and trends) will tell.

+1

If you invest in petrochemicals you love Democrats. They put in regulation that prevent entry and anyone with existing assets makes a killing.

The us market is way over saturated with guns. Won’t want to hold a lot of assets tied up in fine firearms - just look at the double rifle market. Just watch African hunting over the next 10-20 years.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have just one thing to say, and that is, Legally armed people are citizens, while the disarmed public, will become slaves to a boot jack government!
The second amendment was put into our constitution to keep the government honest, and it seems the Americans want to go back to a kingdom, rather than a free society. The confiscation of private owned firearms is the way Hitler gained the power for the slaughter of thousands of citizens of Germany.
Wake up gentlemen, the bootjacks are starting to march down the road to a new NAZI Germany once the public is disarmed.

.......................................... old 2020

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
This thread is now over a year old. Covid has happened and along with a scary election.

30-30 and 30-06 ammo is hard to find. Primers we paid $35 a thousand are now $100+ a thousand IF you can find them on the secondary market. Powder Valley is out of nearly every powder.

The Biden administration is making rumbles about banning on-line ammunition. If that includes brass, projectiles and such I'm in deep doo-doo (I am a high volume shooter of some hard-to-find stuff).

And what about the rumble of needing a $200 NFA stamp on AR-15's and a similar $200 per magazine (max 5). What's next, Glocks?

'And the hits just keep on coming....'

Posts: 3273 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what i(and others) have said for years. if you want to ban guns and gas cars, ban ammo and oil production or raise prices to where its unaffordable. asshole libs!

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote