New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting winchester....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just came into a Winchester mod 70 in 7mm Rem mag the other day and it's got me a little confused. The barrel is stamped Mod 70 Westerner. The only westerner I know of is the older one that came in .264 Win mag, right? This gun is obviously newer than 60's vintage. It's also a push feed model, with no floor plate. Ser # is G1576792...... Thanks. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
btt..... [Confused]

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Standard catalog of Firearms list a model 70 Westerner built from 1964-1971 in 264 and 300 Win Mag, nothing listed about the 7mm Rem.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one just as you describe in 300 Win Mag.The dealer had another identical rifle in 7 Rem Mag,also marked "Westerner".I sold the 300 to a friend 10 years ago, he hunts elk with it every year.Good rifle.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a Mod. 70 marked "Westerner" in 270 Win. It has the best bore I have ever seen...won't foul, shoots everthing to same point of impact, cleans easily with snow white patches after one dose of Bore Tech Benchrest Blend.

I, too, thought the "Westerner" was 264 Win Mag only. But I have learned that this Mod 70 variation is the lower cost push feed sold around '65 and was available in several calibers. The stock was so warped on mine that I replaced it with a Hogue overmold and found '65 written in the barrel channel. Today, I'd probably not replace the stock, just open up the barrel channel and re-seal.

Gun shoots extremely well; bore shines like a mirror. This would be one of the last guns I'd let go...

Roger

Posts: 24 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys. [Big Grin]