New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W model 13
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
in the 80s a guy came into the store said his wife was PG needed $40 to help with hospital bills i gave it to him and he left a gun never to return and get it back. been thinking it was a model 19 for years never looked at it much my son had it for his wife bedside gun. i got it back for my chest rig walking gun and discovered while cleaning it its a model 13-2. ser# 5D809xx. on bottom of frame butt.
crane # is 0 (?) 15 and underneath 00241. SMITH site says no such # exists. any of you experts tell me what i've got? thanks.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Model 13 (in all of it's 'dash' engineering changes) is the K frame fixed sight 357magnum caliber version of the M&P.

It was a very popular revolver with law enforcement and very common.

Here's link to a lot of info on the Model 13.
In the 3" bbl version, they are still a very sought after revolver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._%26_Wesson_Model_13

One of Us
posted Hide Post
its a HB 4". still shoots good. its also a square butt with oversize wood grips, S&W round button both sides.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
nice shooter... basically a 19 with fixed sights instead of adjustable sights.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
found out its a 1979. year my son was born. so now he wants it. sigh

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club, John. My boys get a lot of mine now when I'm still alive + will really score when I die.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:

Then sell it him.

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a concept. Just like John, I have been in the business of GIVING pieces to my boys. Don't get me wrong, they were raised with a good work ethic + are prosperous now but guns were always a gift. I wish that that I had me as a Dad. Smiler

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My children have received some firearms.

Give my daughter a model 65 stainless model 13 for her 18th birthday.

The last few were given with the reserve of it is a semi permeant load.

Unless I need them again.

If I show up at the door You well hand them over with 100 rounds of ammo.

After I am dead they are yours to do with what you want.

I do not like keeping my eggs in one of basket.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never been one to keep all my eggs in one basket either. I once had my will set out firmly on what guns my sons would get each, + that was aside of the rest of the estate. But I changed my mind + left the gun ownership option open to them + have talked with them in the interem + told them that that is THEIR decision on who gets what guns. I consider myself one of the fortunate ones whos children care for each other + will do right to their brothers. I have seen way too many families where that was NOT the case. I do know a case in point concerning an old friends wife who was a grandaughter of the old man who owned Enchanted Rock + all the surrounding countryside + who died without a will + had several daughters. I don't need to elaborate, you get the just. The old mans parting comments were, "Since you girls were little, all you wanted to do was fight amongst each other so now you have your chance to do it on a grand scale." I got this story from an old friend whose wife was one of the granddaughters of the original daughters of the old man + somehow Howard managed to get them to cut him out 600 acres + the old original ranchouse in Castell,Tx. + then let the rest of the relatives fight over what was left until there was nothing left; as everything went to the attorneys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:

Then sell it him.

never. he lives closest to us and as a contractor built our house for cost. any problems, he's over here as soon as he can come. we hunt in our backyard as he made friends with the landowner and the guy that leases the land 20 years ago and now we hunt deer, pigs, etc at will. his old truck broke down in 2018 so i gave him my 2013 dodge 3/4 ton diesel and bought me a used one that wasn't so heavy duty. we don't sell to family unless its an honest to god business deal. youngest son got married last year and his car was breaking down on a regular basis. i had a windfall and gave him 12k to put down on a new one. hes a firefighter in austin and works lottsa extra shifts to keep going. my daughter got cancer in 2016 and i paid over 50k for her medical bills till she passed away 2020. and we raised her young kids for 4 years. theres no "selling" in this family. and we all get along great. their spouses are another story. i'd sell air to em if i could!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
never. he lives closest to us and as a contractor built our house for cost. any problems, he's over here as soon as he can come

Payments are made in many ways.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yea i'm sure thats what you meant

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have given many guns to sons in law, grandson. Probably the most notorious is the Win model 88 in .308 I gave my grandson. The thing has been magic for him. He was about 15 when I gave it to him and is now 33 and has killed numerous deer with it.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Besides, it gives us great joy to pass along guns to our kids + grandkids knowing they will appreciate them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i lucked into a 788 in 308 recently. scoped it and gave it to my 9 yr old grandson. so far he just likes to hear it go bang. but he's getting there. hunted with it dec but never got a shot. damn thing is very accurate too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
S&W mod 13, a 4" m&p HEAVY BARREL IN 357..I owned several of them over the years. I think in the early 70s or late 60s..neat gun. Tough gun no need for a black jack btw.. shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find one in a 3" model and you will pay dearly for it. The original Smith K frame, in 38 / 357, regardless of finish, is simply one of the finest revolvers ever made. We all had them back in the day. A 3" M13 is a sweet gun, indeed.

And speaking of hard to find, try looking for an original Smith Model 58 41mag in decent condition. Another classic, priced accordingly.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I really liked the look and balance of the model 13...but they were not seen often in gun shops so I created the next best thing (after being stupid and selling off my Lew Horton RB 3" 66). Below is my model 19 RB that I bought a 3" model 13 HB and hand a rib and higher front sight put on it.

One of my favorite carry guns.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote