New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN / Browning connection
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Browningguys posts about the Dumoulin got me thinking about one of my own pieces. In appearance, it's similar to the long extractor FN-built Belgian Brownings. This one is in .375 H&H. This one, however, has only FN markings - the FN logo is on both the front receiver ring and on the (black spacer/white spacer/red rubber) recoil pad. It has the familiar 'teeter-totter' single blade rear sight, hooded front sight, and an overall finish equivalent to Brownings Safari Grade. In contrast to the familiar 'L', or '2L' (or even no letter) serial #, this one is numbered 'B59xxx'. There is a non-swiveling sling loop on the forearm, and the receiver has a Herstal roll mark. It's one of those that's almost too nice to shoot, but it shoots too well not to! Of all my Belgians, this one is kind of my pet, and I know the least of its provenance.

Is this a simple case of Browning not bringing in enough .375's to bother asking FN to mark them - or is it perhaps an import directly from a European retailer..? I'm also wondering if the first two digits of the serial# (59) might indicate the year of manufacture..? Any ideas?

Posts: 5732 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any reference material in front of me but FN was pretty well known to have made their own Mauser designed actions (full rifles for that matter) with the FN stamp. These are very similar (possibly identical) to the Browning Safari CFR's subcontracted to the FN plant. There are more then likely some dates of manufacture that may shed light on your question but I don't have ready access to that information.

I'm sure someone here will shed further light on the question but that's what I could offer.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
J M Browning sold all his designs to Winchester until he took them the A-5. Winchester refused to buy the design.

JMB went to Remington. While waiting for his appointment with the head of Remington the executive fell dead of a heart attack.

JMB went to FN, which was, by FAR, the largest manufacturer of small arms.....military and civilian in the world.

FN made Browning's guns until the 60s. John Browning had an office in the FN plant and died there.

Ref. by memory. "John M. Browning, America's Gunmaker" by

FN made M-98s from 1922 on. MANY millions of FN made military and civilian Mausers are still out there.
The civilian FN bolt action sporters has a beautiful script "FN" crest on the front ring.

The militaries had the Fabrica de Arms de Guerre Herstal Belgium on the left rail.

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Hi Tumbleweed, I love the Brownings also. I've currently got a gr.iii and gr. IV BAR, the BLR I bought a couple of weeks ago, pistols, m.1900(2), 1910, 1922, 1971 Renaissance and standard grade. The commercial FN's were just as good a gun as the Browning marked guns. You'll also notice onthe commercial actions the thumb cut out is missing on the left side of the action since you wouldn't be loading with stripper clips.

The only thing I've observed is that often the FN retailed guns didn't use quite as nice a grade of wood. Having stuck my foot in it now, I will admit to haveing seen a couple of extremely fine FN's, engraved and stocked with the best wood.

I hunt with my BAR's every year, although I do seem to be a little more carefull when carrying them. I'd shoot it.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote