New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need an approx value on my Grandfather's Browning
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My grandfather gave me two guns, both of which he bought new, he says, over 40 years ago. One is a FN Browning Light 12. All original, in probably 95% condition. The receiver is engraved, in my opinion it is very engraved for an old shotgun. He says this is one of the models with the recoil-less barrel, its in great shape, just want to know what i'm holding on to.

He also gave me an old marlin 30-30 he bought back in the fifties for deer hunting. it is a model 336A. seems to have a longer than average barrel when compared to my dad's 30-30 that is several years younger. this rifle is in probably 75% condition, the stock was broken and repaired, but other than that it looks almost brand new. I'm guessing there is not much value here but i don't know a great deal about antique marlins. any info would be great. thanks everyone.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is basically an informed guess without seeing the guns, but I'd put the Lt 12 at about $500 to $550 and the Marlin at about $175 because of the broken stock.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Assuming the Light 12 is a Belgian (as it would be if over 40 years old) AND it has a ventilated rib barrel AND it is truly in 95% condition, then I might guess just a little higher than Gato and say $600 to $700. If the barrel is of an unusual length or choke, then that helps. If the barrel has no vent rib, then that hurts big time. The humpback is no longer in production and prices have been climbing for a while. Also, there's just no shotgun like it for hunting, so they have a following. It would be worth more if in 16 or 20 gauge.

You probably misunderstood your grandfather about the barrel. The Browning action is a long recoil system in which the barrel actually moves almost three inches to the rear when fired, so the barrel on all Auto-5's "recoils".

Marlins with a rifle-length barrel are a little more attractive on the market than the more common carbines, but with a repaired stock it's only worth what someone will give as a shooter. If Gato's low on the shotgun, then he might be a few dollars high on the rifle. In the end, it adds up to about the same thing (and will locally vary a little according to what season is coming up next week.)

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tahnks for the help with both issues. the shotgun does have a vent rib barrel, but there is no choke or anything like that on it. neither one of which i plan to sell, just wanted to know for my own amusement.

I'm going down to the gunsmith later tonight after work and dropping off the marlin to have it restored. i'm hoping to take it with me deer hunting in a couple weeks. thanks again for your help.