New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolutionary War musket
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a revolutionary war musket that came out of my grand father's collection.
Where can I go to find out some info on this gun?

Thanks.

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You can post pictures here and I will tell you all about it. Or PM me for my email address if you are serious. I know a lot about flint muskets.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a small sample provided by the National Parks Service that may help you narrow it down

https://www.nps.gov/vafo/learn...s-with-arrowhead.pdf

Most common would be the Charleville/French or Land Pattern (Bess)?English. But the colonists used whatever they could scrounge up. Militias armed themselves for the most part.

Images would certainly help. Any stamps or engraving on the barrel or lock?

Posts: 66 | Location: Port Crane, NY | Registered: 11 February 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
He has a Model 1777 French Versailles Arsenal Musket, marked with the AN IX, year nine of the Revolution. Theirs. 69 bore of course. It is complete and original.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom,
Thank you for the info on the musket. It was very nice of you to take an interest in it.

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
P.M. sent

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote