New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Winchester 42 experts out there
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking at buying a 42 that was made in 1949. Trying to find out if they made a red butt pad on that year. It has a checkered stock also. I can send pics to someone if they can help me out.
email me dellprater@sbcglonal.net
I will send some pics.

Posts: 3699 | Location: MI | Registered: 12 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Del, check the choke...most were Full. Regular 42s didn't have checkering, so with checkering, and if it's choked Skeet, you have a Skeet Grade....if Full, it may be a Trap Grade. I don't see any mention of recoil pads. Does the pad say Winchester on it?

PS: What kind of bottom-feeder offer did you make? :-)

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Del
My 42 is a deluxe skeet grade , yes it's checkered but has a hard butt plate that says winchester on it . I don't know the year
Bob

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1291 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My 42 is a deluxe skeet grade

I want it! :-)

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
Winchester 42's were available with red butt pads but it should be a Winchester and marked accordingly,some will say other pads were also available if you specified other,however when you go to sell it everyone will tell you that the pad is wrong. For it to be considered 100% correct it should say Winchester.

Posts: 672 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And there is at least one company that makes a thin "red" recoil (don't recall who but you should be able to check some of pad makers to find one) however you should know that Mdl 42 "experts" will tell you with a straight face that the shade if red has a "little to much orange in it to be factory.

One thing I have noticed about those who collect Model 42's is the only guns believe are 100% factory are the one's in their safe.

Tru "ShotgunWorld.com and visit the Winchester section - ask the question there and plenty of experts chime in.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote