New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Do You Liquidate a High End Collection
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm reaching a point in life where I feel I should dispose of a small collection of higher ticket guns. I have tried consignment sales but have found the dealers mark them up sky high and are content to sit on them since they have no investment. Has anyone broken up their collection and how did you do it? I have a couple English sidelock shotguns, Model 21, A&S shotguns and some big bore bolts that need to see a younger owner. How about the bigger auctioneers such as Julia etc.? Is their a dealer out there that will buy a collection? I can't find one with money. I'm starting to think most high ticket dealer inventories are all consignment. Any suggestions?

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LJS,
I would think about using GunsAmerica first. I've known some high end guns that traded there like a Woodward 20g that still haunts me.

Then one of the big auction houses like Julias. The auctions of late are no longer great places to buy cheap, therefore they're prolly decent places to sell.

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Auction houses, consignment all totally worthless ways of getting rid of good guns. The only worthwhile thing is .....give them to me!! I'll treat them well and give then away in kind when I'm done with them. Please send any ammunition you have as I don't reload and can't afford the good stuff. Oh and I'm a little strapped right now would you be so kind as to send them post paid. Big Grin

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chef:

Thanks for helping me out. I suggest you wait by the front door. They should arrive any day now. jumping

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GunsAmerica and GunBroker are good places if you want to go it on your own. Just keep in mind that most folks are a little leary about sending $3-4K to a private party with no seller history. Also invest in good camera and take clear close-up pictures. Folks (including myself) are a little concerned when someone claims to have $50K in firearms, but uses a $100 camera to photograph them.

If you wish to go the professional route, try Cabelas, Griffin & Howe, Thad Scott, Steve Burnett or Westley Richards. They usually try to make about 20% on a sale, but they offer the buyer a money-back guarantee and permit the use of credit cards.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kurt C:

I used two of the people you suggested for an attempt at consignment sale. Since I had two Wesatley sidelocks, I sent them there. In both cases they marked them up about between 40% and 50%. It was probably to support the new cost of a bespoke gun. Doesn't look to good to a prospective buyer if late model mint guns are available at 35 cent to the dollar. Cabelas takes forever to get your gun in the system and they get beat up from excessive handling by the hordes that come through the stores. I guess I'll try the GA route next.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have noticed that a lot of high dollar consignment guns are marked up more than the usual 20% commission. I have been told it is because potential buyers usually make an offer that is 20% below the listed price. Wink

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
Seems to me a lot of the people who may be interested are right here on this site. Why not try "Classifieds" here first. Or is this a bad idea?

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cowboy:

I thought of that but I get so frustrated by the group that feels they need to make a clever non appropriate post, the second group that launches into an explanation why your gun or attitude toward that gun is crap and not worth the money, and finally all the unwanted lousy trade offers. I'm interested in selling these guns not debating them. I may give it a try as soon as I learn how to take decent pictures.

one of us
posted Hide Post
LJS you have a PM

Posts: 1635 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
LJS,

If you have any rare Winchester pre-64 M70's, such as a 9x57, send me PM and I will tell a friend who has
money and will deal fairly. We have an FFL holder who will accept the shipment.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
LJS

send me a list of your bolt guns and prices that you are asking,I may be interested in something you have.
Don

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3067 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
Cowboy:

I thought of that but I get so frustrated by the group that feels they need to make a clever non appropriate post, the second group that launches into an explanation why your gun or attitude toward that gun is crap and not worth the money, and finally all the unwanted lousy trade offers. I'm interested in selling these guns not debating them. I may give it a try as soon as I learn how to take decent pictures.

Tire-kickers and gun critics are an unfortunate part of the game. At least on AR you don't have to hear it to your face like at a gun show. Has anyone here tried Christi's?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LJS,
I have several friends who have bought collections of high end guns, for resale at higher end gun shows. If you like I could give you a Ph# so you could talk to him directly. You may not get very top $, but he would be more than fair.
PM me with your Ph# and I will call you with his PH#. I have no horse in this race, so I have nothing to hide, just an offer.
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
My friend and gun dealer has sold many of my firearms that I no longer shoot. PM me if you would like contact information. Do you have a 25-06?

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the PMs and inquiries about rifles but at this time what I'm trying to sell are English sidelock shotguns, an A&S sidelock, and a Johannsen 500 Jeff.

one of us
Picture of sbhva
posted Hide Post
You could try the classified ads in The Double Gun Journal. To maximize your return, you want to deal directly with the buyer and not through a middle-man gun dealer. So, you have to find a way to get to your intended market. Collector's associations are another good way.

Steve

Posts: 120 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might also try advertising the shotguns on the for sale board at Gunshop.com. There are a surprisingly large number of buyers of high-end guns who frequent the site.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kurt C:

I used two of the people you suggested for an attempt at consignment sale. Since I had two Wesatley sidelocks, I sent them there. In both cases they marked them up about between 40% and 50%. It was probably to support the new cost of a bespoke gun. Doesn't look to good to a prospective buyer if late model mint guns are available at 35 cent to the dollar. Cabelas takes forever to get your gun in the system and they get beat up from excessive handling by the hordes that come through the stores. I guess I'll try the GA route next.

Anything "high end" is NOT out in the normal used racks.

I find that if a gun is in the used racks in Cabela's available for public handling it isn't truely "high end"

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
You probably live within driving distance of some one or more of the better gun shows for true high-end purchasers, e.g., the Safari Club show in Vegas, the Gun Report show in Tulsa, the Ohio Gun Collector's Shows (can't remember the specific cities), etc.

If you walk in with one gun in a case, everybody in the place will want to see what's in the case. Individual firearms routinely sell at those shows for $25,000 and more, sometimes much more.

Just be sure to sell only to a licensed dealer if you are at a show outside your state of residence, and to see and make notes of a bona-fide government issue photo I.D. before you sell to ANYONE. BTW, no one pays with checks at those shows. They pay CASH, so don't accept anything else. If you have any doubt as to the legality of your sale, just walk over to the entrance and ask to see the show organizer. He will fill you in with sound info, as he doesn't want his show used for illegal sales.

Anyway, you can take the wife on a nice little holiday (or NOT) and meet a group of people genuinely interested in and capable of buying what you have, by going that route.

Obviously if you walk out with $25-grand in your pocket, you should have a pre-set plan of how you will quickly get it into an appropriate safe place and out of your pocket. You will be plenty safe inside the show (ever hear of an armed robbery of a gun show?), you just don't want some local wino or punk from the "hood" to bif you over the head for a dime-bag and find $25-large in your wallet.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to try to sell them to Cabela's. They have a "gun room" and seem to have good quality and good prices.

Posts: 10097 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind a trip to Las Vegas, I would give the Wallace Beinfield Antique Arms Show a try. Most definitely a high-end show, next show is in October:
www.antiquearmsshow.com

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of high end guns seem to sell on GunsAmerica. And you know, this is a great place to sell. Lots of traffic and guys seem to know their stuff. If you price it competitively, it'll sell. I could see a M21 selling here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I know of a local shop to me that sells on Gunsamerica and he says he marks them up only 15%. Not into too many really high end guns, but there are shops like him around that do charge only a fair markup.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2576 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done business most of my adult life with a upper end gun store in Atlanta. Give them a call at 404-266-1250 , ask for the owner, Jack. He has inventory & a clientel for guns like you want to move.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LJS-I'm a bit late in this discussion but have a couple of thoughts you might be interested in. I don't know if you have sold your guns or not but you might give serious thought to the services of the larger auction houses that deal in English guns such as Bohnams or Sotheby's Christies. Janes Julia is also very well respected. The retail outlets will buy your guns for 30 cents on the dollar.

Posts: 53 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 12 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm reaching a point in life where I feel I should dispose of a small collection of higher ticket guns. I have tried consignment sales but have found the dealers mark them up sky high and are content to sit on them since they have no investment. Has anyone broken up their collection and how did you do it? I have a couple English sidelock shotguns, Model 21, A&S shotguns and some big bore bolts that need to see a younger owner. How about the bigger auctioneers such as Julia etc.? Is their a dealer out there that will buy a collection? I can't find one with money. I'm starting to think most high ticket dealer inventories are all consignment. Any suggestions?

definitely Gunbroker or AuctionArms you will reach a national audience and if you have a desireable piece, you will get top dollar for it. What you will need is a dealer to ship the weapons for you, and you must always ship it to the buyers dealer.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Bonham's & Butterfield is another that does high end collection appraisals and auctioning.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote