Find
Notify
Tools

Colt SAA
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted
I am the proud new owner of a Colt SAA, 41 Colt caliber. It has been converted to 22LR. The conversion is an excellent job, so it may have been done at the factory. It's in fair shape. Looks like a shooter. Six digit S/N, 233###, I think it was made 1901 - 1903. Any Colt SAA experts out there?
It's not for sale, but I'd be interested in its value. I took it in on a debt, so wonder if I got screwed!
Does Colt still provide a letter on the history of a gun?
Thanks, preciate any help.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Colt will letter the gun for you. The last that I knew I think the charge was $100. You can contact them at:

OLT'S MANUFACTURING COMPANY LLC
Customer Service Department
P.O. Box 1868
Hartford, CT
06144-1868 U.S.A.

Tel: 1-800-962-COLT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As to wether ya'll got screwed, how much was the debt? I mostly know when I have been screwed

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
There has been a change at COLT for factory letters....they charge depending on the historical value of the gun. A letter can run several hundred or even up over a thousand depending on rarity and history of the gun. It is one of the biggest rip offs you can imagine. it is entirely subjective on their part. They won't tell you squat, just quote a price. if you want the letter, pay it; if not, then there is no where else you can go to get the information. They sort of have you by the short hairs, so to speak.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by congomike:
There has been a change at COLT for factory letters....they charge depending on the historical value of the gun. A letter can run several hundred or even up over a thousand depending on rarity and history of the gun. It is one of the biggest rip offs you can imagine. it is entirely subjective on their part. They won't tell you squat, just quote a price. if you want the letter, pay it; if not, then there is no where else you can go to get the information. They sort of have you by the short hairs, so to speak.

Just another reason why Colt will soon follow other formerly great gun companies onto the scrap heap of history. They're done, it's just a matter of time and not long at that.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote