New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako .244 Remington Heavy Barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sako chambered an apparently small number of their L579 Foresters in .244 Remington back in the early '60s. There's one for sale on the net for $7000, but I think that's pie in the sky.

At any rate, my question is this: Did Sako ever catalog or produce the .244 chambering in its Heavy Barrel varmint model?

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I have a forester L57 heavy barrel in 244 converted to 244AI.note this is a L57,not a L579

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
$7000 or $700? I still occasionally see L57 & L579 244s for around $800.

I found the one you are apparently referring to, on GunsAmerica. It is a Deluxe model, according to the seller only 93 made. I still think $7K is reaching.

I have an FN Deluxe 244, also a scarce piece.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, JB. That answers the question of whether Sako ever chambered its HBs in .244. At least they did in the L57. Now, I wonder if there were any L579's in .244?

FL 30-06: I stopped by the gun shop in San Antonio to look at that $7000 rifle. It has a surprisingly plain stock, the bolt has been jeweled, and the recoil pad is original but disintegrating. Other than that, it's only about $6300 away from being priced right.

I'll bet your FN Deluxe is a nice piece. The Browning Safari which superceded it was never made in .244 to my knowledge.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just looking at a L579 (I think) at a gun store. It said varminter and had the heavy barrel and was chambered in 220 swift. The tag said pre '72 but what should I look for to be sure. I don't know much about sakos.

Posts: 153 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
something of possible note to collectors is that my 244 has about 20 grooves much like the marlin micro groove barrel.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen Sako .222's with around 12 or so grooves. In fact, this was standard in their L46 and early L461's, I believe. I was not aware that Sako used the multi-groove barrels on anything other than .22 bores, but your gun confirms that they did.

Are you sure that there are as many as 20 gooves in your .244? I would think that 12-16 would be more like it.

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
after a careful recount,there appears to be 12.it is for sure an l57,stamped on left side.but i think the bolt shround safety was changed in the l579 to a trigger safety.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
i am guessing this is not the original stock.anyone know for sure?

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you show us a little more of the stock?

An original should have a plastic buttplate with a Sako logo on it (unless it's been replaced with a pad), and an original would likely have come with fixed sling swivels (not studs). What I can see of the checkering doesn't look like most Sakos, but I would need to see more to offer an opinion.

How does the gun shoot?

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I replaced the other butt pad 10 or more years ago and refinished the stock.the metal had been neglected for years.the original rings are pitted badly and the barrel had little blue left.teh throat is also eroded somewhat,but it will still shoot better than an inch.it of course needs lighter bullets with the 12" twist.I have about 500 cases ,half of which have been fireformed.I may take her out prairie doggin this year,she hasnt bee out of the safe for years.It was my dads favorite deer rifle for many years and then my brother in laws until I traded him a first year ruger 77 in 6mm for it.I still have the lyman all american 6 x on her and I polished the barrel which has been cut to 20".very heavy to carry for deer hunting,but a nice varmiter.The safety is also badly worn,slips off very easily.

[

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Definately a replacement stock as Sako never offered a roll-over cheekpiece. I'm going to venture a guess that the stock came from Herter's, a good old Minnesota company.

Does the barrel bear Sako markings, or could it also be a replacement? If it's a replacement, then my question about Sako ever chambering the .244 in a factory HB is still up in the air. An original Sako barrel will have the caliber engraved on top immediately in front of the receiver ring (underneath the scope bell) and will likely have "Bofors Steel" stamped on the right side just above the stock line.

Thanks for taking the trouble to post the pictures. I'm always fascinated by old Sakos.

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
the chamber has been shortened for the ai chamber,putting the caliber marking inside the stock,but it is there.it does have the 12 groove barrel, remember.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
this should answer any doubts

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's a gen-u-wine Sako barrel and marked .244.

Again, thanks for not only taking time to post the excellent pics, but also for going to the trouble to take your gun apart!

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
my pleasure.I actually am having fun learning how to post pics.Im getting better as I get more familiar with the camera and software(both new).still have a way to go.cant seem to figure out how to use the macro feature on the camera yet to get those closeups in sharp focus.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Here's a Sako L57 244Rem for $850: SAKO244

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. Impossible to tell from the photos, but I assume that this one has a sporter barrel.