New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 600 .350
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This year a new hunting partner showed up with an old Remington 600 in .350 Remington mag. Has the original laminated stock and sights, never had a scope mounted on it. I told him that was quite an unusual rifle, I hadn't seen one in at least ten years.

We're interested in learning how many were made and what it's worth. The gun has been used by several members of his family over the years for hunting and isn't in pristine shape, but it hasn't been abused either. By the way, that thing flat knocks down deer! Thanks, Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Been looking for one for years...is it for sale?
Heard that most of them are in the back country of Alaska. See them on GunsAmerica. com but the sellers are very proud of their rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it a 600 or a 660? I don't recall the differences, but it seems like the magnum version was labeled 660. I think it has a ventilated rib made of nylon and a nylon trigger guard.

Later 600's and 660's (some of which were marketed as low-price leader items under the name "Mohawk") had plain barrels and non-laminated stocks.

The Model 7 is what the 600 should have been, it just took Remington a few years to figure this out.

Posts: 13228 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to some literature that I have from Troy Newlon of Newlon Precision, the XP-100 was introduced in 1963, and Remington introduced the Model 600, an all new carbine rifle, in January of 1964. The 600 was redesigned in 1968 and renamed the 660.

FWIW, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have been looking for one for years. I have a 6.5 mag and 308 in this model. Neat little guns.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When they brought out the 660 Remington made the barrel 20" instead of 18.5" and dropped the nylon rib. The earlier guns are worth more, but either one is a bush gun without peer. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ooops - it's the one without the rib, I got the models mixed up. This is the 20" laminated stock model in .350 Rem mag.

Dan in WA, Nope it's not for sale, but it was hunting outside of Waterville this year! Not far from Wenatchee at all. Thanks to all for the help with info on this game thumping carbine. Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If there were two guns I lusted over as a kid, they were the XP-100 and the Remington 600 in 350 Magnum.

I bought the Model 600 in .308 Win the first year they came out. That vent rib and front sight were sexy son-of-a-guns.

I killed a 6 x 6 bull elk with it two years ago. In between all those years it killed everything that got in front of it. I love that little gun.

Talk about a great carry. You could put it on your shoulder and forget it was there.

I don't use it much anymore, but when you take it to a deer camp get ready to be mobbed. Everybody likes to hold it and roll it around.

It's not the most accurate rifle I own, but it's my go-to gun if I want to re-live about forty years of hunting pleasure.

I'm offended when someone calls it the 660 or the Mohawk. It's the Model 600, the original.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 600 was discontinued in 1967. There was a standard version in .350 Rem, .243 Win, 6mm Rem, .308 Win, .222 Rem, and .223 Rem. They made 80,944 of them. There was also a magnum version in .350 Rem Mag and .264 Rem Mag. They made 13,142 of these and most were of the .350 RM.

The 660 was discontinued in 1971. 45.332 standard and 5204 magnums.

I got that from Layne Simpson in the Jan. 2003 Shooting Times.

Posts: 33 | Location: Gilbert, MN | Registered: 07 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Much of the high value of the .350 Magnum 600 and 660 was pushed by Alaska hunters for whom it was a peerless quick handling powerful carbine. Remington has now re-introduced the calibre in the 743, I think they call it, complete with short barrel, laminated stock and barrel rib, so I suspect the value of the older rifles will now hit a plateau or even begin to decline.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob-airto, I think you meant .35 Rem in the standard model. And what a classy .35 Rem it was...

<sincity4>
posted
remington has just anounced that they are going to make a new model that looks like a mohawk. latest guns and ammo, shooting times. by the way its in 350 remington magnum. i think it was around 800.00 in the article.