Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dakota African Grade 416 Rigby for sale
 Login/Join

posted
I am interested in selling my rifle. It is in mint condition and has never been fired. Anyone interested call 817-558-3557 or email. stevenj@hyperusa.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt that I can afford it, but how much do you want and what does the stock look like? LOP? Thanks CAT

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
sorry for the late reply. I am asking $4500.00 for the rifle. The stock is english walnut with an ebony forend tip.

<GeorgeInNePa>
posted
That's not a bad price for a Dakota African 76. Post it on the classified board, you'll probably sell it.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice on classified ads. What are you going to hunt in Nimidia?

posted Hide Post
Well lets see if I can spell the country wright this time! Namibia.

<GeorgeInNePa>
posted
Plains game this time around. Kudu, Gemsbok, Mountain Zebra, Eland... I booked through Wendell Reich, Hunters Quest International. He posts as BuffaloBwana on this site.

http://www.huntersquest.com/

I am hunting at Gras Hunting Ranch. South of Windhoek.

I am taking my .416Rigby. It's a Ruger M77. That and a .300WIN Remington 700 for back up. I have a Dakota Safari in .375 H&H but I think it's too pretty to take and I don't want to trust it to the airlines.

posted Hide Post
That my dilema with my Dokota, I think it's to nice to hunt with, but do I want to keep this gun that I probably want hunt with? I would like to go back to Africa to hunt Leopard again but I'm having a hard time deciding who to go with this time. Do I want to hunt over bait again or try with dogs? Any suggestions?

<GeorgeInNePa>
posted
I'm not the one to ask. This will be my first trip over. If it were me, I'd have to do the baiting/blind deal because it's the way I've read about in all the old African hunting books.

Next trip (not even gone on the first and I'm planning the second!), I'm going for Buff. I'm tring to decide were to go.

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
My Dakota's have made a few trips over. If you take a soft sided case with you in the Landcruser, you will not beat it up. Eventhough they are beautiful, they were designed to be used. I have a ding or two in mine, but that is part of using a gun in the field. I don�t start sweating when mud splashes on my 4X4 and I don�t cry when I ding a gun. (I might weep convulsively, but never break down and cry)

If it is a money thing, then sell it and you will have plenty of funds left over.

I have always baited for Leopard. I enjoy the challenge of popping baits, trying to outsmart the cats, and the thrill of sitting on your ass for hours on end in a blind attempting not to laugh when your PH farts. Seriously, to each his own, but I would rather bait than to chase.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As a kid, dogs were always a part of hunting, whether we were hunting coon, rabbit, deer or ducks there were always dogs. Hunting leopard with dogs would be something I would enjoy. On the other hand looking for tracks, setting baits, making drags and trying to out smart the leopard was fun just not very productive where I hunted. If anyone out there has hunted loepard with dogs I would like to hear how your hunt went.