New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 M70 Questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm interested in buying a Pre-64 M70. Could anyone give me some pointers on what to look for? Which date ranges are considered to be the best, quality differences, etc. It would be for hunting, probably 30/06.

Posts: 102 | Location: Kingsport, TN | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John, Of the several I have, most are post war models. They are all top of the line but you will find that the overall fit and finish was much better on the earlier guns. I also think that these same guns had a much better grade of wood.
I would suggest picking up Roger Rules book, The Riflemans Rifle. You can usually find them on eBay and a few other book outlets.

For a pre 64 30-06 hunting rifle, I would look for something in the 50's era. You should be able to find one thats unmolested in the 7-900 range.
I just sold one last week, 30-06 standard weight that was in a solid 75-80% with minor dings/scratches and small amount of bluing wear for 785.00. good luck

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Posts: 102 | Location: Kingsport, TN | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To me I think the best made M70's ever made are from what is called the transisiton era which is roughly 1947 to 1949. The things to look for is the cloverleaf tang with a new style safety. These guns have all the pre-war quality but are drilled & tapped for scopes and have the correct safety for a scope.

Posts: 144 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With all rifles wear shooting glasses to protect your eyes.2 brothers were out shooting 2 diff caliber pre 64 mod 70's one got the wrong cartridge a 270 in his 300 the case ruptured and hot gases hit his face and eyeball luckily his eye healed with no permanent damage.

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Many 50 year old Winchester 70s have been hammered over their life through hard use with wood showing considerable wear and tear. Interestingly, as suggested you can buy a good example in .30-06 or .270 for around $750 here locally, while actions striped of barrel, trigger, and stock are selling for around $550.

These rifles in my view are excellent candidates for some "slight" modification. Witness my .260 Varmint rifle with Jewell trigger and Lilja barrel.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DCMI, it just don't look right, a pre-64 with a fluted barrel and that big ol' USO sittin up top. Big Grin
They are spose to look like this

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Not only that, but how about that PURPLE McMillan prone stock?

--------------------

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
what I'm curious about is why haven't pre-64's skyrocketed in price like all of the recently manufactured (and discontinued) USRAC-FN winchesters?

Say you had a $750.00 pre-'64 standard grade rifle in .270 in 2005. Shouldn't it be worth 2-3x that now? After all Scheels tripled their asking prices for these new ones.

Mini-rant over.

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 397 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John 55,

I have some pre 64 M70's. To me they always were the Excaliber, the ne plus ultra of rifles. I still have them and use them.

To me the best M70 ever was the pre 64 Featherweights. They were much lighter and handier than the way too heavy standard model. The Featherweight came out in 1952 but only in 308 but by 55 they made them in 30-06 and 270 etc. I would look for one made as close to 55 as possible.

If it's for hunting then take one where a pad was added as long as there is enough wood left to make the LOP good for you with a pad. These are the best deals.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
99 beautiful wood!!

Posts: 207 | Location: new york | Registered: 23 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GoWyo:
what I'm curious about is why haven't Pre-64's skyrocketed in price like all of the recently manufactured (and discontinued) USRAC-FN Winchesters?

Say you had a $750.00 Pre-'64 standard grade rifle in .270 in 2005. Shouldn't it be worth 2-3x that now? After all Scheels tripled their asking prices for these new ones.

Mini-rant over.

That has in fact happened with collector grade guns.

What I am talking about are the thousands that have little or no collector premium associated with them. Pre and Post war M70s that have scratches, dents, barrel shot out, etc. rotting away in gun racks of aging hunters are now starting to show up in gun shops, estate sales, gun shows as pretty mean looking relics, while the action is still in great shape.

The rifle shown above has short round parts in a Pre-war action. Safety lever, etc. all mismatched. No crime in taking one of those as the basis for a custom rifle.

My view however that sacrificing a collector grade gun in tantamount to a crime.

Smiler

--------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
DMCI, I'm with you on the fact there are alot of just parts guns in the pre-64's. I have several rat holed away and at least a dozen minty pre-64 stocks for future use if and when the right barreled action comes along,

GoWyo, while the classic's have jumped in price by leaps and bounds, it will be short lived, the rush before the calm. Some folks wanted certain guns/calibers to stick away for future collections and some jumped on the bandwagon hopping to cash in.
The pre-64's have maintained a steady value increase and I think it will slow down a bit. You are seeing quite a few more 64's on the market today than in years before as I think alot of the ol' timers have passed or are at an age they can no longer hunt so these guns are becoming available.