Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quantity or Quality?
 Login/Join

posted
What makes a better collection? Whether it be for "cool factor" or potential resale value later on, what are the pros and cons to each?
Is it better to have more items in the $0-5,000 realm, or fewer in the $5,000+ category?

Posts: 13 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 May 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Thats really a question that one needs to ask himself. e.g. Ford or Chevy. Personal preference. I will add that if you are considering them for investment purposes, yes they will increase in value (slowly) but don't count on moving them in a hurry if you need to cash in; ain't gonna happen. If you HAVE to sell, divorce, etc. I guarantee that you will end up selling them for less than you paid for them.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RacinJason:
What makes a better collection? Whether it be for "cool factor" or potential resale value later on, what are the pros and cons to each?
Is it better to have more items in the $0-5,000 realm, or fewer in the $5,000+ category?

whatever stiffens your cleaning rod!

Posts: 1529 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I suffered from the Quantity syndrome for a while.
They were also quality but not very collectable.

I had a bunch of bolt action rifles.

BSA, Nikko, Coon Tx Magnum, Omega, Mannlicher, Blaser, Mauser 66.

My intent was to continue with the Bolt guns.
Schultz Larsen, Rem 788, Mauser 2000 & 3000 and 1996, Heym straight pull, but I didn't.

on the Mauser Mil side:

Chilean, Argy, Peru, Swed, Lowe, Mex, Yugo, Cz, Venezuela

Most are gone, a few of the mausers were sporterized.
Kept the Mannlicher schonauer and Mauser 66 swap bbl.

My buddy on the other hand collected Winchesters and Savage 99's. I know he did well because I helped his widow sell them.

Posts: 6349 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course, you had to keep the Mannlicher! I still wish I could come across another 788 in 22-250.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most people collect for personal pleasure, so collect whatever pleases you.

Some people think they are collecting for profit, which, without great knowledge and discipline, is a fool's errand. Most of their widows will be sorely disappointed.

Lots of "collectors" think, "Wow, if I could only get a complete set of (blank) that set would be really valuable". Ha! Other collectors don't want to buy a full set, they want to collect it themselves. Otherwise they would forgo the thrill of the chase, so what would be the point in "collecting"?

Posts: 13207 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I never thought of it that way, but that is extremely valid. Unless of course, you get someone that has a lot of money and wants a quick fix to show off to his buddies, but that would be an anomaly for sure. The thrill of the hunt is for sure where the excitement comes.
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Most people collect for personal pleasure, so collect whatever pleases you.

Some people think they are collecting for profit, which, without great knowledge and discipline, is a fool's errand. Most of their widows will be sorely disappointed.

Lots of "collectors" think, "Wow, if I could only get a complete set of (blank) that set would be really valuable". Ha! Other collectors don't want to buy a full set, they want to collect it themselves. Otherwise they would forgo the thrill of the chase, so what would be the point in "collecting"?

Posts: 13 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 May 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
If I sold my collection tomorrow, I am sure I would make 150-175% on what I paid.

But that is not why I bought them.

I bought them because I wanted each and every one of them, for my own personal reasons at the time.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13306 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
stonecreek, I agree. Several years ago I had collected everything that I wanted so I sold some just so I could go the search again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A late friendly neighbor had collected one of every M1 .30 Carbine ever made. I never saw them.

Bastard kid next door to me broke in and stole several of them and other things. He got caught trying to pawn a pair of binocs. Probation for 3 years. Norm never got his guns back.

NRA insurance paid him the value but, the collection was ruined. Something else to think about.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed! I still smart over the theft a few years ago of my C-96 Mauser 'broom handle' in the case with shoulder stock, cleaning/ disassembly tool, stripper clips + a 1914 Iron Cross in the case.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't have to limit yourself to such, Have both..I have some high dollar rifles and some old winchester and Savage rifles and I stilll hunt with them. I also have some beat to hell no blue, stock like driftwood md 70 pre64s and some Mauser sporters that I mostly hunt with..I enjoy collecting and using them, thats what they are all made for..Thats been my choice for years and no regrets. A closet queen is disgusting!! sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41726 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the idea is appreciation of value, quality is more important.

If it’s what is collected, well, that’s in the eye of the beholder.

I have some… but they have not done as well over time as more conventional investments.

FWIW.

Posts: 10460 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
I have one collection of my own that I consider to be complete. I have one of each the Ruger RedHawks in all of the calibers ever made, all stainless, I have each of the four calibers in two different barrel lengths, (5.5 inch and 7 1/2 inch barrel). Some may say that isn’t a “real collection” but I beg to differ….

Posts: 588 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could have bought a mod 70 pre 63 or pre war new, wore it plumb out and sell it for 5 times your sale price today...I paid $98 and some change for mod 70 new in the box,, same for a saddle ride it to death and sell it easy for what you paid for it. Its collecting, take your pick, but you better know your business or you will fall prey to the preditors! Eeker

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41726 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id certainly call that a collection and worth a lot of value..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120