Find
Notify
Tools

Date Born Mannlicher/Schoenauer
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted
Have a 1903 M/S with a number on the barrel and a number on the action. Looking for a place to determine the year made? Went to the Mannlicher collectors' site but didn't see a serial number look up. TIA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Date of proof should be stamped on the barrel, it may be under the woodline.

Posts: 129 | Location: west MN | Registered: 22 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Should have looked. Had to loosen the barreled action in the stock to get the serial numbers at the FFL. Just tipped it up the minimum amount. Guess I'll check it out when I clean and Renwax everything. Does the number on the barrel mean much? It is different than the serial number. Thanks. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marked by the proof house in the number order for the year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have to get on with the field strip and wiping down. there is a number on top of the barrel over the chamber 30XX. Trying to learn if it is the serial or the one at the right side of the receiver partially covered by the wood.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The right side of the receiver would be the serial number. Starting with the underside of the bolt handle every part large enough to be marked should have the serial number or the last two digits, even the action screws. I say," should have" because I know of a very early 1905 has the normal MS markings on the top of the receiver and proof marks but no numbers on anything?

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have a 1905 FS that I had listed on the classified-guns only a few months ago.Need to update that.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote