New
Find
Notify
Tools

A bunch of old guns some nice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 2662 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sad truth is that most of these generous gifts from America were never issued and, post-war, destroyed by the British Government.

It was a callous propaganda exercise to get ordinary, decent, US Citizens feeling that they had a stake in Britain's fate in WWII nor more no less.

In fact lawful civilian owners of sporting rifles had to surrender them in 1940 "for the duration". My late mother was convinced she didn't get HER exact same rifle back in 1946 as she'd surrendered in 1940.

Thank you for posting the link. Here's one back at you:

https://youtu.be/1E4jwmPj6hg

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Did you notice all the sawed off shotguns and single barrel shotgun pistols?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Harrington & Richardson "Handy Gun" type that your 1930s (?) legislation made "illegal" in the US?

I had one in fact here in the UK in .410" 3". It was a nice thing. I even shot a killed a pigeon with it once.

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Several years ago at a gunshow I picked up a 2nd model S+W hand ejector in 45 LC. that had the lend lease glyphs stamped in.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote