New
Find
Notify
Tools

Restoring a Vintage Winchester Model 62
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone recommend a gunsmith that could restore my Winchester Model 62,.22 pump. It was my father's first gun and is one of the gallery models that shoots only .22 shorts. The gun functions perfectly and is much more accurate than my Ruger 10/22. Externally there is small amount of brown patina forming here and there and a screw is missing on the wooden forearm. I want to pass this on to my one of son's.

While there are many local gunsmith's that could reblue the rifle, I want a really nice job that make it look new again.

Posts: 83 | Location: ND | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clean it with OOOO steel wool and keep it as it is. Perhaps someone can help you find a screw.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
MAFM--

The forearm screws are available from GunParts, Jack First and others.

You're better off leaving the gun original unless you want a FULL restoration which involves hand polishing and charcoal bluing.

Hand Polishing
http://community.webshots.com/album/17944759FTFDzctiRT

That albulm follows an pre-war M-94 from original to "hand it down to grandson" for one of my customers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to spend some money on it consider fitting an appropiate tang sight. This will make it more accurate for anyone to shoot. The tang may already be threaded for that sight?

Some collectors may want to weigh in on this but to me it would add value.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JBELK

With the exception of the engraving, your pictures are exactly what i have in mind. The finish on my gub looks very close to the one in the pictures. You can still see the blue underneath the light rust. If i can provide digital pictures could you give me an estimate.

Many Thanks

Posts: 83 | Location: ND | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How would one refinish the wood on the same rifle?

Posts: 336 | Location: Alabama, U.S.A. | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
MAFM--

Of course. Send the pictures on.

Recoil junky--- The wood is best finished at the same time as the metal so it can de sanded to the metal. That precludes the rounded corners that says, "An amature practiced here." [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think, if it was my gun, I would leave it the way it is. You could get a replacement screw from: Gun Parts
If you want a first class restoration try:
Doug Turnbull
Turnbull is not inexpensive but his work is outstanding.