Tools

General Motors handgun
 Login/Join

<bullseye>
posted
Anyone ever hear of GM handgun?

<JoeR>
posted
Never heard of GM handgun but the M16 I carried in Vietnam was built by the Hydramatic Division of General Motors and so stamped.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe a division of GM produced a little single shot stamped steel .45. They were dropped to resistance fighters in WWII if I recall correctly.

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Guide Lamp Division of GM made the Liberator Pistol. It was a single shot 45ACP made from crude stampings. It was packed in a box with 6rds of ammo, a wooden dowel to punch out the fired rounds, and step by step cartoon like (unworded) instructions. They were air dropped behind enemy lines in hopes that they would be found by resistance figthers. The concept was to whack a bad guy with it and them relieve him of his service arm and ammo.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
<bullseye>
posted
Thats what I've heard. Anyone know the value of one of these? I know where one is for sale.

one of us
posted Hide Post
$500 to $1200 depending on condition. Add another $500 if it has the box and instructions. That's according to Blue Book of Gun Values. Given the renewed interest in militaria, actual value to a collector may be considerably more.

Posts: 240 | Location: Downers Grove, Illinois | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote