Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sell or Keep
 Login/Join

posted
I am having a heck of a time deciding what to do. I really want a new rifle, specifically a thompson pro hunter. What I cannot decide is if I trade in my Remington model 788 .243 and/or my remington 7400 .270 weathermaster. I need some advice on what to do. I really shouldn't keep both and get the new rifle... Suggestions????

One of Us
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
Dump the 788. I've had three in my shop with bolt handles that had broken off.

Regards,

Eric

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
Benjamin Franklin, July 4 1776
Lost once in the shuffle, member since 2000.

Posts: 199 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
keep the 788 ugly and astronge bolt throw but they are getting scarce in this part of the country,,, the semi autos are fun ,but hard to keep operating and ammo finicky,,, my experence,,, course ill trade ya for the 788

Posts: 104 | Location: south of san antonio | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
The bolt handle of the 788 was separate from the bolt body and was electro brazed into a socket of the bolt body.

While the rifle is otherwise sound, this feature helped it's demise as the bolt handle of the 788 frequently broke off and Remington got tired of fixing them. The rifle was removed from manufacture as the cost of "upgrading" the rifle didn't make Remington execs happy.

If it had had a better bolt I wouldn't have a problem with the rifle. As I mentioned, i've had three in my shop for this problem and one of them had already had the bolt repaired before.

Anyway, one man's poison, anothers Jim Beam.

Regards,

Eric

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
Benjamin Franklin, July 4 1776
Lost once in the shuffle, member since 2000.

Posts: 199 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All you have to do for a 788 replacement bolt is contact http://www.wisnersinc.com check this out and ignore comments about the 788.According to a Rem rep I met at the Whittington Center during a national YHEC competition Rem stopped making them cause they were too good they were supposed to be a throw away rifle instead they were competing with their other lines.The 788 makes a great benchrest rifle and is in demand.