Find
Notify
Tools

Browning Safari .458 WM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have a line on one. It's Belgian made, Mauser action. Ser. # L3xx

Wondering about age (I know it's post 1956). It's in G to VG shape. Not as nice as my .375, but certainly well cared for.

I'm not looking for collector value, so much as for a mate to my .375. Now, if I can just get the .338 WM that was originally owned along with my .375! [Big Grin] I know where it is. Just don't know how long I'll have to wait, and how much I'll have to pay to get it.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recall passing up a .458 25 years ago, and I've been kicking myself ever since. I also have a very minty .375, but it has all "FN" markings instead of "Browning". I do know where there is a .338, but it's really done hard service, and the guy wants three prices. I still have a .308 NIB featherweight (on the Sako action) that has outstanding wood...and a NIB '06 Safari grade...and a few others. Canada you say? [Smile] Sounds like we should talk!

Posts: 5736 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TW,

I'm storing a Sako actioned 308 fw for my old boss. His wife bought it for him 35 years ago for deer hunting. One time he mentioned that it misfired on his annual deer trip (the only time it was ever out of the case). I suggested he bring it for me to have a look at.

He brought it in, and honestly admitted to me that he had never cleaned it in the 35 years he's had it. Turns out the bolt was so full of crud the firing pin wouldn't drop. After a good cleaning, it worked fine. Shame was, he also had a beautiful Auto 5 Light 12 in the same condition. They're getting the respect they deserve at my place, for the time being. He looked pretty sheepish after I gave him a royal chewing out!!

On top of it, over the years, he'd made half-hearted attempts to mount a peep sight (gouged out the stock) and try different scopes. It currently sports an Aimpoint sight. [Roll Eyes]

He'll probably collect it when he comes back this way this fall, but I'm hoping he'll just sell it to me reasonable, so I can re-scope it and maybe use it for a foul weather gun.

Like I say, I'm not looking for collection purposes. Just appreciate the fine workmanship. All my buddies collect pre-64 Mod. 70's, so I gotta be different. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It just occurred to me...you said the s.n. on that .458 was L3XX. I just sold one in '06 that was L303...

Posts: 5736 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote