New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleveland Cutom Gun Shop
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently bught a nice custom rifle. This 1917 Enfield Action is chambered in .340 Wby. Mag. It is styled like a Weatherby with the rosewood forend piece/gripcap, and Calf. style cheekpiece. The gun has a high luster blue finish with a 24" barrel. I remember visiting his Shop in on E. 152nd street when I was a teenager, and he would tell me about hunting grizzly bears, and cape buffalo. His name was Pete Haydar (I may of miss spelled his last name), anyways he planted a seed for hunting, and guns in me that has grown over the years. I have another .340 Wby. Mag. a old W. German Mark 5. So, I'm familure with this very fine cartidge. I was wondering if perhaps one of you knew Pete or have or had any of his custom guns. Thaks Bo

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I'm not familiar with him but how about some pics? I'd like to see it.

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy, I'm a gun guy, and new to the internet. When I get a camera I will post a picture of the rifle. It looks like a old Southgate gun in a P1917 action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bo Rich:
Andy, I'm a gun guy, and new to the internet. When I get a camera I will post a picture of the rifle. It looks like a old Southgate gun in a P1917 action.

Great, can't wait to see it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you are one of the few who have a good impression of that cantankerous old man. good that he got you interested in guns & hunting !

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete was always very kind, and helpful. I really enjoyed when he talked to me about his trips to Africa hunting Cape Buffalo, or Canada for grizzly bear. Back then I was young, and didn't have alot of money so it ment alot to me that he would take time to answer any quetions that I might ask him. Most people I talked to liked Pete, perhaps he could be cantankerous at times. Heck, sometimes I get alittle cantankerous myself!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
there was another guy in Cleveland- Heckman, on Hayden Ave.

In my early teens my dad bought me a trapdoor 45-70 for 60 bucks there. Heckman told me how to clean up the metal and stock without effecting the guns value. I remember he gave me a piece of brass to remove some junk on the barrel. I followed his instructions and eneded up with a pretty fair 45-70 for my efforts... and the old man's 60 bucks Big Grin

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tin can, Did you go to Pete's shop? I thought it was a pretty neat gun shop with all the trophy mounts, and fine guns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't remember his- funny that I don't, my dad's family was from Collinwood.

My brother was a stockmaker, he did business out of Mayfield Guns/Mayfield Mall, Mayfield Rd, and other shops.

My era was 60's-70's there.

Gun shops I frequented:

Atwells in Painesville

Erbachers in Madison

Ziggys in N. Montville (I saw a Borchardt pistol change hands in that shop)

Art Hart in Chesterland

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of all the Shops that you listed I believe that Atwell's is the only one still open. Bernie passed away I guess it has been 10 years or so now. His boys Chuck, and Dan are running the store now. They get some pretty neat stuff in, but mostly deal with local Law Enforcement. I stop by every couple of weeks to see if they have any new old guns on the selfs. Ziggy's Shop blew up in the ealy 80's (I was in the Sevice then). A black powdwer accident from what I understand. I heard that when the store blew it was during the day. Sadly People were killed inside the store.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a BSA Martini target gun , a Rem Model 41 target gun, and a Savage-Anschutz target gun from Bernie in '76 or so, still have them. The prices were reasonable on them. I walked away from a Hammerli pistol he had, too; I still kick myself.

There was a shop at Rt 306 and Lakeshore Blvd in Mentor- the guy's brother lived in the Headlands and rebuilt C-96 Mauser pistols (chinese arsenal imports), and he did a fair job of it.