New
Find
Notify
Tools

Value: Civil war era muskets?????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got 3 CW era muskets that have been in family for a long time but are not, AFAIK, any that we used in CW. They range from rough to semi-decent.
Brief descriptions are as follows:

1) Barrel approx. 37 inches long, no front sight, has almost certainly been cut at some time. No front or rear sight, not does it appear that there ever was a rear sight. Marked on side of lock, Springfield 1849.

2) Barrel approx. 42 1/2 inches, front sight, rear sight, no ramrod, marked US Phila 1827.

3) Barrel approx. 40 1/2 inches, ramrod but almost certainly not original, front sight, rear sight, marked US Norfolk.

#2 probably the worst condition, then #1, and number 2 is not too bad.

I want to get these out of my way, and I don't mind selling them cheap, I just don't want to give them away. Any idea of value? I'd just as soon sell them all together. Whatever they're worth, they're going down the road. Thanks for any help.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
All were used in the Civil War; the second one is a 1816 Springfield Pattern 69 cal muskets that were converted to percussion. and some were rifled. Used early in the war until production of rifle-muskets could catch up and used by the South later too. Pics would help. Barrels should be 42 inches. First one might be a 1842 percussion musket. Or flint. The third one is a 1861 Contract RIFLE-Musket, 58 caliber, 40 inch barrel, made by Norfolk and those were the primary arm of the Civil War. Value depends on condition; plenty of low condition ones out there. Mint ones are thousands of dollars. Well used ones are $300, maybe. Converted 1816s are not very collectable unless in very good condition.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. I have sold them quite reasonable to a CW collector who posts on these forums. They are just overly long dust collectors to me.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote