New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-War Model 70 Target
 Login/Join

<dibbs>
posted
I recently acquired a pre-war model 70 Target in 257 Roberts, with an 11,XXX serial number. I do not know the history of the firearm, and the rear bridge has been drilled and tapped for weaver bases. The target stock has the cutout for the original peep site, but this sight, the front sight, and barrel block were not included with the firearm purchase. I am not a collector, but would guess that the bluing and stock and overall condition are in the 80-90% range. I would appreciate help in determining approximate value of the firearm, or a site where I might be able to find out some history on this classic. Thanks for your assistance.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I dunno...but I bet if you show up with that at any good size gun show you'll soon look like the pied piper with a bunch of full grown men following you around (gun collectors).

Posts: 3272 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hard to tell of course without seeing it, but a nice 90% Pre-War Target model in .257 in original conition should bring at least $2000 - $2500. The holes drilled in the rear bridge will drop this price considerably! The stock being cut is not neccessarily non-original as Winchester did use some Lyman 48 peep sights that required a notch to be cut in the stock and if memory serves me well the 48 Target model required this cut. The fact that your gun does not have the 48 target sight also will reduce the price as these sights are going for $200+ IF you can find one.

The .257 is a very rare caliber in the M70, treat it well.

Posts: 144 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote