New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester M54
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm considering selling a mint M54 Winchester in .22Hornet. The gun was made in 1936 and has a factory Lyman receiver sight. The gun is in 95% plus condition.
I have looked on Guns America and in other calibers they range up to $1600. Is anyone here knowledgeable on the value of this firearm in the Hornet chambering?

Posts: 53 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 12 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This rifle was made from 1925-1936 and was Winchester's first bolt action centerfire series. It was made in several styles: standard, carbine, sniper's, NRA, super grade, target, & National match. For this particular model, the two rarest calibers are the 7.65 & .30-30 which according to Ned Schwing can a premium of up to 250%. The next 3 most popular (or sought after calibers) are the .22 Hornet, .220 Swift, & .257 Roberts. My book is two editions old already (3-4 years) so I don't have real good values (I'd add at least 25%), but it states values of $800-950. So...I'd estimate $1600 as a bit high, but not out of the question (especially with the factory sight), depending on style.

Hope this helps a little.

Too much is just right!

one of us
posted Hide Post
You say the gun is mint and in the next line you say it is 95%. Which one is it?

Posts: 144 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The gun is in mint condition and all original. Its not 100% as it has seen some use but not much. It rests in the far corner of the safe and I'm going from memory there for the safe 95%. I know there are no dings on the stock, the butplate shows no wear and the bluing is very good. The only wear here is at the muzzel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While you have a desirable gun, you do not have a mint one. You are ambigious in your description. Mint is as over worked in the gun world as rare is on eBay. Check out the links on this google search and you will have a better idea as to the condition. This is important in order to determine the value.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=NRA+firearms+grading+condition+standards

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thaine is right on with his post. You can not have a mint gun that is 95% as mint means just that - mint!

A 95% mint gun is kind of like having a pregnent virgin! It just aint possible!

Posts: 144 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok lets just be on the safe side and call it 95% any ideas on fair mkt value?