Find
Notify
Tools

M1888 Rod Bayonet Trapdoor springfield
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted
OK another relic followed me home! I picked up what appears to be a correct M1888 Rod Bayonet trapdoor. It has a 1884 marked trapdoor with a very nice stock with very sharp SWP(1890) cartouches and a P stamp. The rifle has a buffington rear sight and a swingout oval trap in the buttstock. The rod bayonet mechanism seems absolutely correct as do the stacking swivels and other hardware. The front sight does not have a sight hood, but the barrel seems correct and it Looks like it's been together for a long time( real good sign in my book). The serial number would place it in the 504XXX group that appears correct for jan 1891 production. I either have a very well done parts gun or a real correct 1890. What do you think and have I missed something?-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob sound an awfull lot like the one I shoot,I picked it up from a show in Richmond and had to gice 600 for it, from what I could gather it was a good price

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote