Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win mod70 prewar
 Login/Join

posted
Bought myself an early Christmas present,250-3000 1942, I actually wanted a postwar one so I wouldn't have to mess with the undrilled rear bridge, but got tired of waiting for one to come up on the market. What do I need to put a scope on this and where can I find it. Thanks.

Posts: 4 | Location: Moses Lake, Wa | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great find. Don't drill it! Unless you want to depreciate it by $1000.00

Go on a hunt for a Stith bear cub mount. It uses the receiver sight holes on the Left side of the rear receiver ring and the front receiver holes( I think, might be the rear sight dovetail. No drilling necessary. There are two versions out there. One for straight tubed scopes that slide into a female front sleeve arrangement. The other is for belled objectives.

Either that or go with a Lyman 48wjs receiver sight and shoot with the MN 1x biocular system. (mother nature eyeball) That's what I did with my pre-war .30-gov't-06 carbine.

Good luck and post a picture of that rifle!

Gary

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 397 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A pre-war and your going to be using it as a shooter killpc
Only thing I can say is "Congrats" on the find and enjoy it.
Keep an eye on ebay, these items come up from time to time.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JohnD55, I have a Stith Master Mount for a Model 70 sitting around somewhere. The rear attaches to the existing receiver sight holes. It uses one large ring in the middle to hold the scope. They were made for the Stith scope without internal adjustments. The mounts have adjuster built in. It would work with a modern scope, the adjustment would just be redundant. I acquired this setup some time ago on a rifle I purchased. I intended to use it on another project that didn't work out. I'd sell it cheap if you're interested. There are probably pictures of this mount on Ebay that you could look at. I know they are pictured in Nick Strobel's book Old Rifle Scopes and in the Model 70 books by Whittaker and Rule.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not use a pre-war M70 for hunting? I have a pre-war .250/3000 M70 Carbine Super Grade (special order) that I take out from time to time deer hunting. I have it set up with a Stith mount which is what was on it when I bought it.

Posts: 144 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
MPursell,thanks for the offer on the stith mount, but this morning I found one with rings front and back and a K-4 Weaver of close to the same vintage that will fit at Vintage sports and is on its way.Dovetail front and sideholes rear. I don't plan to hunt with it but will carefully shoot it off the alfalfa field behind my shop. I've always wanted to reload the 250 as it is a classic cartridge, I do elk hunt with my 1950 mod70 30-06 but when a dark cloud comes buy I start to worry.When I figure out how to post a picture I'll put it up when I get the scope on.

Posts: 4 | Location: Moses Lake, Wa | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
reelman, all I can say is holy sh^^^^^, what a jewell and in the 250, I think it would be next to me as I slept Big Grin

JohnD, enjoy that rifle , it will serve ya well.

I have several pre-64's in 264 win mag and I try to hunt with a standard and a FW when I get the chance but it is also very light hunting and not the back country hard hunting.

Outstanding guns guys thumb

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jimmy, I will admit that I don't take it out when it is raining or snowing out! For those days I use a well used M70 in 300H&H. FYI I also have a 257 carbine and a 22hornet carbine but these are both standard grades as well as quite a few other M70's.

Posts: 144 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote