THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ANVIL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Anvil Shooting    Post your favorite Anvil story
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post your favorite Anvil story
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
What could go wrong?

Posts: 3272 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Getting everything level, and in a flat, open space, makes this safer. Seems a lousy way to treat a decent anvil, however.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16292 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I agree! I love my anvils ( + I have several in different configs)that I use regularly in my metal shop. The thought of abusing a tool is abhorent to me.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill as well as having "standard" anvils I have beaucoup that have different curvatures + flats w. cutouts for special use. They are commonly called mandrels that are inserted in a cast iron plate w/ holes to insert the respective mandrels. I have them on a roll around table along with other 'ancient' metal-forming tools. I am not in the last century entirely; I do have modern electrical equipment to keep current with today's HVAC needs but I still like the old tooling that allows me to do historical restoration on circa tooling. Oh well, the times they are a changing + the kids these days don't care about the old ways (listen to me!) but it is true. I still get calls frequently because NOONE can do what they want; being anything from a wood stove oval to round adaptor to making feeders for parrots (really) + everything in between. But it is a dying trade, mores the pity, as too many folks out there can not get custom metal works because they don't know where to go. I get some work from the internet but quite a bit from Georgetown Fireplace + patio that specializes in fireplace sales + installations + of course word of mouth. My boys enjoy the shop but have not as yet taken full advantage of its potential. Its nice to make a good living while working at home.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a front axle on a tractor we were trying to widen. It was stuck rock solid even after using the blue wrench. Ended up hanging an anvil by a chain from a front end loader and swinging that into it...she moved.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We used to shoot anvils at our July Fourth parties.
We used peanut butter and newsprint to seal powder in the foot of the upper, ie flying, anvil. Peter Pan was preferred, as Peter Pan flies!

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gCHS5zGVQw

I have a bag of calcium carbide but need some 50gall drums…

Posts: 7128 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot an anvil and it ran off--not a drop of blood. Not to worry I have a AKC show winning blacksmith dog that can track anvils. Those not familiar with blacksmith dogs, you kick them in the butt and they make a bolt for the door. Despite his fine track record, my blacksmith dog was unable to find the anvil.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post